Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I walked behind him as quietly as I could. However, my clumsiness decided that now would be a good time to make its grand appearance. I kept on stumbling and crashing into Lucifer’s back. Although he didn’t seem to mind, the others kept on sending me vicious glares as if I was purposely doing this. I tried my best to return their glares with one of my own, but in the end, I was just too intimidated.

I walked behind him, resisting the sudden urge to run away and start crying. One step after the other. My thoughts had started swarming with those of my family. I felt like this was a simply a nightmare; that I’d wake up and be back in my room.

Slowly, I felt my surroundings start to disappear…. And slowly, they started to reappear again. But I wasn’t in hell; no, I was back at home. On earth.

But I wasn’t comforted.

I was terrified.

My heart started to ache and only after a while did I realize that I was experiencing the emotional pain of my family and friends.

The tears streamed down my face uncontrollably.

I walked down stairs to see my parents. They looked like zombies. I was the one who was dead and yet, they were the one going through all the pain!

My mom’s gaze flew to meet my eyes; and yet, she could not see me, the one person she wanted to see. 

My dad was staring off into space. His eyes were blank and emotionless, but I knew that that was just a cover to hide.

And suddenly, my mom wailed. I heard her loud sobs before I saw her slide to the ground. I ran to comfort her but went straight through her.

My dad didn’t move an inch.

“DAD!” I screamed to get his attention. He didn’t hear me. The tears were coming down like a waterfall now.

I ran to my mom, wanting to hug her, but it seemed impossible. I broke out into large ear-shattering sobs as well, but no one seemed to hear me.

I was dead, but they felt the pain. I couldn’t breathe.

The air rushed out of my lungs. Then I wasn’t at home anymore.

I was back at the party; back on the grand staircase laughing with my friends. But I wasn’t the one laughing. The old me, the alive me was the one enjoying herself on the stairs.

As if I wasn’t about to get shot.

As if I wasn’t about to die.

As if I wasn’t about to get sent to hell!