Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“We have to split up,” Lucifer said once we got back inside the safety of my home.

“What?” I hissed. “Are you crazy?” This was not a good plan.

“Listen, if they catch one of us, they’ll catch all of us! We have to split up! We’ve got no choice!”

“And what if Aaron or Cindy get caught? What the hell are we supposed to do then?” I retorted. I refused to put any of my friends in danger.

“Listen, even if you can’t hear them, I can! The moment they face any trouble they can send me a mental image of where they are and I’ll be able to find them,” Lucifer stated calmly.

I narrowed my eyes. I did not like this plan one bit. There were just too many things that could go wrong. I was interrupted from my internal fuming when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked back, only to find Aaron’s pleading eyes.

“Listen, Lucifer’s right. Better one of us than all of us.” I looked away from him stubbornly. This was not happening. “Sally,” he said softly, “you and I both know that if it was someone else, you would have let them go.”

I sighed. He had got me. Finally, I gave short nod, deciding to agree with the ludicrous plan.

“Great,” Lucifer breathed out. “We meet at the park in half an hour. Remember, blend in! So no, they should not be able to tell that you’re all dead.”

We all nodded and exited the house. Just as I was about to leave, Lucifer stopped me. “You’re friends are going to be fine,” he said in a reassuring tone. I honestly didn’t know whether or not to believe him, and decided to simply nod before I walked away.

It wasn’t too hard. All I had to do was pretend that I was alive and act like I was just strolling around. The demented spirits could see the dead and the alive, but unless we gave something away, they wouldn’t know we were dead.

I walked around, all jittery with nerves. What if they spotted me? What if they found Cindy and Aaron? What if I gave them away? What if, what if, what if? My thoughts were swimming with negative thoughts and it hadn’t even been five minutes.

I sighed. Somewhere along the way, I had realized I was around 10 minutes away from the park and had no one on my tail. Instead of walking on, I spotted a bench on the side walk and sat down for a while.

My gaze wandered the happy carefree people. They didn’t have any worries. They didn’t hold the fate of the afterlife, and maybe even of the earth in their hands.

I watched one particular family. The family consisted of the parents and a pair of siblings. The children looked like twins; both the boy and the girl had blonde hair and brown eyes. They were about the same height with identical carefree smiles on their face.

“Mom! Can we please go to the park?” the little girl asked with a puppy dog face.

“I want to go to the skate park!” The little boy said stubbornly, crossing his arms over his chest and puffing it out.

I laughed at the theatrics of the two. I wondered if my parents would try another time. Would they want another child? Or will they adopt one?

I studied the smiling faces of the mum and the dad, as if their children were their whole world. Will my parents ever be able to move on?

Just as I was mussing over my thoughts, someone walked in front of me. I looked up, and gulped. The man was wearing a full sleeves t-shirt and black pants. He wore a hat that was so low that it almost covered his face. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who he was.