Chapter Five: Dream A Little Dream Of Me

Music is "Burning House" by EZA featuring Aaron Krause.

Picture is Blake Lively as Rose Dugan.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER FIVE: Dream A Little Dream of Me

{June 21, 1947 - Sixty-Five Years Ago}

"You may now kiss the bride!"

Smiles and clapping fill the air on Centre Island Beach. A photographer snaps pictures of the beaming bride and groom. Several dozen people surround them, standing on soft sand and pebbles. Rose wears a typical 1940s wedding gown with a pink rose bouquet. Dum Dum stands beside her, arm hooked around hers, a huge smile on his cheery face.

I clap and smile as they exchange another kiss, their second as a married pair. Peggy stands beside me, her smile as wide. Her lover, Daniel Sousa, is to her left. Howard and his butler, Edwin Jarvis, as well as Howard's lady friend, Maria, and Jarvis' wife, Ana, came as well. They've come all the way from Los Angeles to see Rose and Dum Dum finally exchange vows.

It was a simple ceremony. Rose asked me to walk her down the aisle. She didn't want bridesmaids or groomsmen. She wanted family and friends. Little did she know that with the large Dugan family, that meant at least fifty people.

"About time, Dugan!" Jim Morita shouts from the front row on the opposite side of the aisle. "We didn't think you'd ever have the guts to marry her!" Everyone watching the wedding bursts into laughter.

Dum Dum points a finger towards his old friend, smiling still. "You're not gonna ruin today, Jim! Not today!" The laughter only increases at the groom's response.

Rose grabs her husband's arm, tugging him down the aisle towards the open beach cabana reception. Like the ceremony, they had decided to do something small and personal. So punch and cake it was. Although, I'm confident certain that Howard bought the most expensive champagne he could find to send off his fellow inventor. "C'mon, everyone!" she shouts to the audience as she and Dum Dum weave through the people. "Time for cake!"

Everyone follows their lead. Peggy, Howard, and I follow first. We bring with us Mr. and Mrs. Jarvis, Daniel, and Maria. After that, the Howling Commandos file behind us: Gabe, Jim, Monty, and Frenchie. Then the entire Dugan family. Among them are Dum Dum's parents, Frank and Leanne. His older brothers are here as well: Keith, Bill, Dan, Ed, Hugh, George, and Paul. Last but not least, his younger brother, Dobias.

The band starts to play, filling the open space with lively music. Punch is served, and the cake is cut. Rose can't wipe the smile off her face. I know I must have looked the same after my own wedding three years ago. I find a quiet place to sit on the porch, sipping a glass of tropical punch. I watch Dum Dum and Rose have their first dance to a slow, big band tune.

"What're you doing over here all by yourself?" Howard asks, walking up to me with a glass in his hand. "May I?" He motions to the chair next to mine at the small table in the dimly lit corner of the porch.

I nod. "Sit, please." He takes a seat and awaits my answer. I sigh, running my finger along the edge of the glass. I stare into the liquid as if it might have the answers. "Today has been a difficult day. The wedding and everything. I didn't want to ruin Rose's special day, not because I'm feeling nostalgic."

Howard nods, and his dark eyes meet mine in an empathetic glance. "I know how you feel. I miss them, too." He reaches over to give my hand a squeeze.