Chapter Ten: The Secrets We Carry

Music is "Compass" by Zella Day.

Picture is Natalie Dormer as Maria Stark.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TEN: The Secrets We Carry

{January 1, 1953 - Fifty-Nine Years Ago}

"Sergeant Barnes!"

I turn to see a familiar soldier calling my name: Private Maria Lorraine, or as she's now known as Maria Stark. She flirted with Steve on many occasions, even laid a kiss on him once. It was always awkward, but she was young. Now she's grown into quite the dependable soldier, works for S.H.I.E.L.D., and married Howard.

Maria Lorraine is the one girl who's finally snagged Howard Stark. "Yes, Private Stark?" I reply, using her formal title with a teasing smile.

Maria walks over to me, folding her hands behind her back. "Director Carter requests your presence in her office."

"Did she say why?" I inquire, placing my previous assignment into my field bag.

Maria shakes her head. "Not to me, Ma'am."

I nod, sighing. "All right, then. Thank you, Maria. I'll head over right now."

"I meant to ask earlier," Maria inquires. "You're coming to the one year anniversary party on Saturday, right? It wouldn't be the same without you."

I nod, flashing a smile. "Of course. It's not every day that Howard Stark celebrates his one year anniversary."

Maria laughs, and I walk up to the Fort Lehigh ammunition building. On the outside of this building, it looks like an average American Army training facility. But, once I step inside, I see dozens of agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. bustling around. An equal selection of men and women, old and young, doing all sorts of tasks for the brand new intelligence organization. Three years running, and S.H.I.E.L.D. is blossoming into a beautiful part of the American government.

I get several nods as I walk through the room of offices towards the back. I can see through the glass wall that separates her office from the rest of the building. This way she is separate, but still able to oversee everything that goes on.

I spot the twenty-nine year old woman talking to someone else in her office. A man, a decade or so older, with a dark complexion. When I knock on the door, Peggy waves me inside. "You wanted to see me, Director?" I ask, formally addressing her to show respect.

Peggy nods and waves me over to her and her guest. "Yes. Sergeant, this is Gordon Langdon of the FBI. Agent Langdon, this is Emma Barnes. She helped found S.H.I.E.L.D. and is one of my most trusted friends."

Agent Langdon extends his hands, a polite smile on his face. "Pleased to meet you, Sergeant Barnes. You and Director Carter have done a marvelous job with S.H.I.E.L.D."

I nod in thanks. "Please, the pleasure is all mine."

"Agent Langdon is in charge of overseas intelligence," Peggy explains. "I was meeting with him to discuss an exchange program between our agencies. He would take two or three of ours over to Germany to acquire intelligence. We would take the same number of FBI to show them how S.H.I.E.L.D. works."

"That sounds very interesting," I reply.

Langdon places his fedora onto his head, tilting it towards Peggy and I. "Well, I'll leave you two ladies to your agency. Think about what I offered. You have until the end of the week to reply. Have a beautiful day."