Chapter Nine: Ruby Slippers

Music is "Lies" by Marina & The Diamonds.

Picture is Tatiana Maslany as Emma Barnes.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER NINE: Ruby Slippers

{December 25, 1951 - Sixty-One Years Ago}

Christmas Day gets easier as the years pass. Christmas of '45 was the absolute worst. I barely got out of bed, and Rose had to drag me to Howard's annual Christmas party. But in the six years since, each holiday gets a little more bearable. I find myself thinking of things other than my diseased husband and best friend. Sometimes they're even enjoyable.

This year has been the easiest since the War ended. Rose and Dum Dum are expecting their first child next month. Peggy and Daniel are married. S.H.I.E.L.D. up and running. We have much to celebrate this Yuletide season. Even Howard and Maria are getting married next Spring. Occasionally the love in the air makes me miss my Bucky, but as I said. It gets easier as time goes by.

This year, I'm hosting the Christmas party. With Howard helping Peggy on the technical side of S.H.I.E.L.D., he hasn't had the time to plan an extravagant fiesta. So I took the liberty of planning one in my own home. The the Dugans, the Carters, and the Starks are coming. It will be small, but a lot of fun.

As I pull the roast out of the oven, the phone rings. I pull off my oven mitts, hurrying over to pick up. "Hello?"

"You'd better hurry to the hospital, little lady," Dum Dum's southern accent says, worry in his voice.

I start to panic. "Why? What's wrong?"

"Somethin's wrong with the baby. We were gettin' ready to head over to your place, and Rose started bleedin'." I hear his voice get shaky. "Emma, I don't know anythin' about medical stuff, but it doesn't look right at all."

As he talks, I pull the apron off my body. "Which hospital is nearest?"

"St. Mary's."

"Okay. Drive safely, and I'm on my way right now."

Over the phone, I hear Rose cry out in pain. "Damn it, Timothy! Something is very, very wrong!"

"I'm comin', darlin'!" He then talks into the phone again. "Just hurry, Emma."

We both hang up our phones, and I make a run for the car. The drive to St. Mary's doesn't take very long. As the darkness sets in over Brooklyn, I get a feeling of dread in my chest. I park the car on the curb, throwing myself into the hospital. I look around in a panic. A nurse walks up to me, asking, "Miss, are you hurt? What's wrong?"

I turn to look at her after not seeing Rose or Dum Dum. "My sister-in-law is pregnant and she started bleeding. Her husband was supposed to bring her here. Her name is Rose Dugan. She's short, very curly blonde hair, blue eyes. Her husband is a southerner with a huge mustache. Have you seen them?"

The nurse shakes her head, stuttering, "I--I haven't, Miss. Maybe if you sit down and try to relax--"

I push her hand off my arm. "Do not tell me to calm down, damn it! Something is wrong with my Rose's baby!"

The doors to the emergency entrance open, and Rose is rolled in on a stretcher. Nurses are surrounding her, and Dum Dum is by her side. He's grasping her hand, telling her everything will be all right. I run over and take her other hand. "Rose, I'm here."