Chapter Eighteen: Nuclear Hero

Music is "Sacrifice" by Zella Day.

Picture is Robert Redford (1962) as young Alexander Pierce.

••••••••••••••••••••

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: Nuclear Hero

I shake my head swiftly, and Natasha looks at me in concern. "What? That can't be! We've almost won down here! We can close the portal! Fury would never do this!"

"He didn't! The Security Council overrode him. They sent the plane out, not Fury."

"Tell Fury I'm handling it."

"He has Stark on another line, but I thought you should know."

"Thank you, my Darling boy. I have to go. Stay safe."

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"Please, just..."

I sigh. "I won't, Love. I promise. I love you."

"I love you, too."

I cut the channel and turn to Natasha. "I have to go."

"What's happened?"

"There's a warhead headed for Manhattan." I jump off the roof, flying towards the edge of the city. "Close that bloody portal!"

I dash as fast as I can towards the edge of the city. Coming into view is a white spec headed straight for me and the city behind me. A trail of white smoke is in its wake. I move my legs as fast as I can, running in the open air over the vast blue water that holds up the Statue of Lady Liberty a few hundred meters away. I can see her from the corner of my eye, and she keeps me moving onward.

"On your ten," Stark says, flying ahead of me. "Who told you about the nuke, or do you see the future now?"

"Grant told me," I reply, out of breath. "We need to change the course."

"And how exactly are you gonna catch up to, let alone stop, a nuclear warhead?"

"I don't know...but I have to try."

"Stop playing hero for once in your life. I'm faster. I'll catch it. You head back to right under the portal. I'm gonna need you to clear a path for me. I know where I'm gonna put this bad baby before it wipes out Midtown."

I nod, turning to my six and running back as fast as I came.

Natasha's voice breaks the silence. "I can close it. Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down."

"Do it!" Steve shouts.

"No, wait!" Tony says.

"Stark, these things are still coming!"

"I got a nuke coming it. It's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it."

"You have time to get back through, right, Tony?" I ask, to which he doesn't reply. "Right?"

"Get to the portal, Emma. I need that path, ASAP!"

I dodge aliens as he speaks, finding my way towards Stark Tower. The portal, being right above it, is still pouring out aliens. I take out my bowstaff from my back holster and press the button for electricity, gripping it tightly.

I turn to see Tony headed straight for me, the nuke on his back. I take a deep breath in, preparing to make a path for him.

I hear Steve's solemn voice in my ear, "Stark...you know that's a one-way trip."