Chapter Thirteen: Krasnaya Komnata

Music is "Rise Up" by Zayde Wølf.

Picture is Chris Evans as Steve Rogers.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: Krasnaya Komnata

{June 17, 1953 - Fifty-Nine Years Ago}

After changing into new clothes, I take my signature weapon from Base in West Berlin and head out to find my students. Maria, who works at the Base, sneaked me some intelligence on a shipment that could be them. "They're not listed on any Soviet manifests," she tells me as she hands me a small map. A red hourglass is written over a portion of East Berlin, a building at the edge of the city. "Since they claim the shipments are of food and medical supplies, the FBI can't intervene. We only deal with arms and ammunition, but people around here are suspicious. People in the vicinity have heard children's crying from those trucks as they pass through."

I nod, tucking the map into the pocket of my tactical suit. "Thank you, Maria. Please, make sure you're safe. I don't want you getting caught in the crossfire of this People's Uprising."

Maria gives me a hug, then I'm off. I pull a heavy coat over my tactical suit and steal a motorcycle from the parking lot outside the Base. With speed at full, I follow the map through the well-recovered portions of West Berlin into the rubble of East. I pass large crowds of construction workers who are rioting. Soviet soldiers are trying to calm the masses, but it does little good. I keep my head down in anticipation of more violence. The Soviets always revert to violence when things don't go their way quick enough.

Once I reach the edge of East Berlin, near the place on the map, I spot a large factory. Ever since Joseph Stalin died earlier this year, his successor, Nikita Khrushchev, has been trying to fill the void. Stalin was a monster. We still don't know how many people were killed because of his violent Red Army and gulag prison camps. The bodies are still being found...by the millions. This factory is probably one of many who have started pumping out Soviet weapons to fuel the Cold War between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Khrushchev has been attempting to create a global empire in Stalin's place. So far, it seems to be working.

I hop off my bike and park it in a nearby alley. I grab my bowstaff from my back holster, extending it in preparation for a fight. Though this factory looks like the others, there is no sound coming from it. No machines working, no workers talking, no sounds of things moving. I move in closer, spotting the entrance door to be opened slightly. I enter with hesitation, seeing before me a surprising sight.

There are no machines, no workers, no Soviet soldiers. There's only a factory building filled with boxes. "What in the name of the King?" I mumble to myself, walking over to one of the boxes. I open one, seeing many pairs of ballet slippers. In confusion, I quickly tear open another. There are leotards in this box. When I pull one out, I see it's the size of a child. I swiftly shove the leotard back into the box, opening another. This box holds knives.

I step back in horror. "What are they doing here?"

I hear a door open and turn around quickly to see a Soviet soldier walking out of a door in the wall opposite me. He doesn't spot me, so I sneak around the boxes and stab him in the back with the electric end of my bowstaff, hitting him over the head to knock him out. I catch the door before it closes and locks behind him, entering the dark stairway that leads down into the ground.

The way is dimly lit with florescent lights along the stone walls. My hands grip my weapon firmly as I pass an open room. Inside, I see a large room lined with mirrors. A ballet bar lines the wall. Blood spatters are on the wooden floor. I keep going, peaking into the next room to see another such room.