Nine- Your Kiss, It Could Put Creases In The Rain

2002

"I'm fucked," Alex said, setting his head in his hands.  And even in the bright glow of the morning sun, I'd never seen his face look so dark with worry.  

It was midsummer and neither of us had anything to do, so we'd been sitting on his roof for the entire night.  Now we were both tipsy, watching the sun rise over Sheffield.  But it wasn't even the fun type of tipsy, because Alex's mood was dragging the both of us down.

I passed him the whiskey.  "You're not fucked, Al.  You're just inexperienced is all."

He took a swig. "That's just it.  I've never done nothin' with anyone, and Sophie has been with tons of guys."

"Try the whole town," I muttered, earning a glare from him.

"It's just... what if I'm rubbish at kissing, Dav?" he asked me, passing the whiskey. "What if I mess everything up and she thinks I'm just some dumb bloke who doesn't know what he's doing?

"Just don't swallow her tongue and you'll be fine."

His glare intensified.  "I'm serious, Dav."

"So am I."

We sat in silence for a moment before he turned to me suddenly while I tipped the bottle back.  

"I think we should practice.  On each other."

I spat out the whiskey.  Literally spat it out.

"What?"   

He jerked away from the splatter.  "Dramatic much?

I searched his face for any sense of sarcasm or humor.  But there wasn't any.  And the moment I realized he was serious, I nearly shit my pants.

"You think I'm going to help you get on Sophie's kissing level?" I questioned.  "I've never even had a boyfriend.  Jesus, I've never even been within a foot of any guys who aren't you and the lads."

"That's why we should practice," he said.  "Me for Sophie and you for whoever you fancy."

"I don't fancy anybody," I said, looking away from him.

"Oh come on," Alex said.  "There has to be someone."

There was.  But there was no way in hell he could ever find out it was him.

"Nobody," I said, looking back to him.  "But I mean... I guess if you think that us practicing will help you... I mean, I guess it could..."

I was rambling.  But my best mate had just suggested that we kiss, so it was understandable.  

"It won't be like... you know," he said, looking down, his cheeks flushing slightly.  "But I think it's best we do it with each other instead of using all of our bad kisses on people we actually like."

"Yeah," I laughed.  "I guess you're right."

He wasn't.  But still.

We both sat there awkwardly for a moment before Alex cleared his throat.  

"So should we..."

"Uh, yeah," I said, my skin heating up.  "Um..."

We were frozen again for a moment before Alex put the whiskey to the side and scooted closer to me.  My heart was beating wildly as he leaned in and quickly pressed his lips to mine.

We both pulled back hastily, and we stared at each other silently before busting out in laughter. 

"You're right," I said.  "You suck at kissing."

"Oh yeah?" he laughed, grabbing me by the back of my neck.  "I'll show you a bad kisser."

I laughed, trying to push him away, but before I could his lips were on mine again. 

Our mouths were open with laughter, our teeth clanking together, and neither of us knew what the fuck we were doing, but there was something absolutely magical about it all.

And as we kissed in a mess of whiskey breath and crooked teeth and laughter, I was absolutely certain that any other kiss I would have for the rest of my entire life would tremendously pail in comparison to this one.