Twenty Five- I Heard The Truth Is Built To Bend

[A/N- Hey guys! First of all, thank you for everyone who's reading this story and voting/commenting because I love all of your support and feedback and it gives me life <3.  Sorry that this chapter is trash and that I haven't been updating but I'm about to graduate high school and idk if it's the same where ya'll live but it's a crazy busy time so I haven't been able to write as much.  I might not be able to update every day like I want to but I WILL finish this story so don't think you're getting rid of me yet lol.  But anyways, thank you so much for reading this story and I love all of you.  Alright let's got on with this garbage chapter 😂]

"You know what I think is funny?" Estella asked me as she poured herself another glass of wine.  We were sitting on the couch in their hotel room, drinking and listening to her records.  

We'd finished the wedding stuff hours ago, and Estella insisted that we hung around and chatted before I headed out.  I was going to say no, I really was, but then she pulled out a bottle of wine.  And how could I resist wine?

I think she really wanted me to like her.  And to be honest, I really did want to like her.  Deep down, I think I did, actually.  But for obvious reasons, I just couldn't warm up to her.

"What?" I asked, taking the bottle from her and filling up my own glass.

She took a drink and smiled playfully.  "I think it's funny how you and Alex have never been a thing."

Oh shit.  Here we go.

I laughed awkwardly.  "Yeah.  Weird."

She laughed along with me.  "I mean, you've known each other for song long.  But I guess just because I'm in love with him and stuff it's so hard for me to understand how everyone else isn't in love with him, ya know?"

Oh, I knew.

I shrugged, trying to stay casual.  

"So you two have never fooled around?" she laughed.  "Not even when you were kids?"

I almost choked on my wine.  

"Never," I croaked, trying to catch my breath.

This was heading straight into dangerous territory and my mind desperately spun, trying to come up with something else, anything else, to talk about.

But before the conversation went any further, Alex and Miles suddenly burst through the door in a mess of loud talking and laughter.  They both kind of stopped when they spotted us.

"Dav," Alex said to me, his eyes passing from me to Estella.  "I didn't think you'd still be here this late."

"Well," I said, I clearing my throat awkwardly.  "Surprise."

Estella stood up, crossing the room to Alex.  I looked away right as she pulled him into her arms.

"I gotta hit the road," I said, standing up.  As much as I loved being around Al and spending time with Estella was okay, I didn't want to stick around to watch the two of them pollute my air with their happiness and love.  Frankly, I had better shit to do.

"Are you going to walk home?" Estella asked, turning around to look at me.  She was still too close to Alex for my liking.

"I mean, unless you want a DUI..."

"Shut up," Alex laughed.  "I'll take you home, you git.  I'm meeting Matt at the Hellcat, so I'm headed that way anyway.  You wanna join?"

I shook my head.  "I have writing to do."