Forty Three- Do The Bad Thing, Take Off Your Wedding Ring

I can do this.  

I can do this.

I can do this.

I peeked down from the window to see the cold hard ground staring up at me.

I can't fucking do this.  

My chest was heaving.  It was at least thirty feet to the ground.  Gravel, I might add.  I'd wrapped bed sheets around my knees and feet to absorb as much of the shock as possible, but a broken limb was still very likely.  Inevitable, even.

I looked down again. 

I can't do it.  

I should have climbed back in the window and started banging on the door.  Someone would find me eventually and then I could get to Alex.

But it would be too late by then.

I wanted to puke and cry and scream.  And I was certain I was about to do all three when a noise stopped me.

It was far off, and it took me a second to realize what it was.

Applause.

The ceremony was starting.

Shit.  Shit.  Shit.

I could hear Alex in my mind then.  

"Just jump, you git," he said.  "You're acting like a right pussy."

"No, Alex, YOU'RE acting like a pussy," I shot back to invisible Alex.  "YOU'RE the one marrying a fucking psychopath because you're too afraid to leave her."

Invisible Alex didn't respond.  Probably because he wasn't real.  And the real one was about to consummate a fake marriage in a matter of minutes if I didn't jump.

I squeezed my eyes shut.  

I can't do this.

But for Alex,

I will.

And then I let go.  

The fall only lasted a few seconds.  But the second I hit the ground it felt like my entire body had been hit by a truck.  My feet flew out from under me and I landed on my knees.  The sheets absorbed the shock, but they didn't stop me from flying forward into the ground, my arms locked underneath me.

That's when I felt the snap.  And shortly after that, searing pain in my left wrist.

"JESUS FUUUUUU-"

I rolled over on my back.  The pain was white hot and intense.  And I might have laid there until death came to call, but then I heard the sound again.  More applause.

No time for pain.

I stood up, trying my best to kick the sheets off of my legs as I ran straight for the vineyard.  I was clutching my arm against my chest as I dashed through the vineyard, taking as many short cuts as I could.  The vines were scratching at my skin but I had to make it to him.

I had to.

I flew through rows of vines, straight toward the small castle on the hill where the wedding was taking place.  My wrist felt like it was on fire, but I couldn't stop.

I ran out of the vineyard and started up the small hill to the castle.  The doors were wide open, like a gaping mouth just waiting for me.  My skin was hot and I couldn't breathe.

I stumbled over the threshold of the castle and into the ceremony.  I stopped at the end of the long aisle, unsure of how this whole wedding crasher thing worked.  I didn't really know what I expected; maybe everyone turning to gape at me, or something dramatic like that.