Chapter Eight: Hate At First Sight

Chapter Eight
Hate At First Sight

I rode the cab to the club.  By seven sharp, I have already arrived at the back of the long line to the entrance.  There were screams from the side of the pavement as a crowd began to form.  Huge men in white shirts began to make a guarding formation as if a celebrity has arrived.  The sleek black door of the limo opened.  My curiosity triggered as I tiptoed to see past the screaming women.

     I felt anticipation as the star slowly came down from the car.  It made it harder for me to see because of the flashing lights of the camera.  I held my breath and I felt like all the air has been squeezed out of me.  As I caught sight of Caleb Princely.

     He smiled to everyone as he made his way to the entrance without waiting for the long line.  I got closer to the entrance since a lot of girls got out of the line just to see and touch Caleb but, the big white men in white shirt did a great job by protecting Caleb from any fingerprints.  My gaze followed the brunette star until he has entered the club and completely out of sight.

     “What?!” I heard a woman scream.  She was eight people apart from me.  “Don’t you know who I am?  I should be on the list because I am the daughter of this club’s owner!”

     “I’m sorry, ma’am.  But you’re name’s not on the list, please step out of the line,” the bouncer unchained the red velvet rope for the lady in purple halter dress to get out of the line..

     When it was my turn to get in, the black bouncer in black shirt and pants looked at me.  “Name?” he said gruffly, probably still fumed with the heated lady earlier.

     “Ava Mellark,” I stated calmly.

     He checked the clipboard for a moment then, unchained the velvet rope.  “Your name is not on the list, ma’am.  Please step out of the line.”

     I felt my heart beat palpitate.  “Calvin Klein.  I was registered for Calvin Klein,” I managed to answer calmly.

     His hand held on the velvet rope while he ran his eyes down the list, then, chained the rope back to the stanchion chrome.  “Get in.”

     I felt like jumping but that would be too unprofessional.  So, I managed to get in the dim-lit club as I gripped my sequined clutch that I got earlier from a thrift store.  I’m sure nobody would notice.

     Feeling a little out of place, I found an empty seat by the bar and ordered for a cherry cocktail.  As I gulped my drink in anxiety, a man stood inches apart from me and ordered an apple martini with a smooth handsome voice.  I turned to see who it was and spewed out my drink, nearly splashing all over Caleb Princely.  I turned my back before he could see the mess I’ve made.  Thank God the drink neither went to my outfit nor his or else, I would’ve died right here.

     The bartender looked at me bizarrely as he handed me a napkin.

     “Thanks,” I said as I grabbed the white sheet and wiped my mouth and my hand.

     I turned to where Caleb was but he was gone.  I faced the bartender.  “Where did he go?”

     He wordlessly pointed over to the crowded dance floor.  I finished the rest of my drink and searched frantically through the crowd.  I suddenly burst out to an open space at the center of the dance floor with disorientation.

     “Oh, I’m sorry, I—“ I began to say as the emcee cut through.

     “And we have a volunteer!” The Jamaican host’s voice echoed through the whole area.  I noticed the people even from afar have turned to see who took the challenge.