Chapter Seventeen: Following Your Heart

Chapter Seventeen

Following Your Heart 

I worked my way to the office.  I didn’t know how the crowd vanished from the front of the building but my day became just like the other days I used to have before Caleb came into my life.

     “Oh my God, Ava!” Tiffany ran towards me with an expression I couldn’t tell whether she was happy to see me or she was panicking—again.

     “Hi, Tiff,” I said flatly.

     “You are the luckiest girl on earth!” she squealed.

     “It’s good to see you, too,” I said to Tiff, completely ignoring her squeal.

     I looked around and noticed that some were discreetly peering at my direction then, pretending to do their jobs.  Some co-workers who never bothered to talk to me or even give me notice began walking by my cubicle and saying “Hi, Ava.”

     “What?” she said ridiculously.  “Well, I don’t like seeing you here.  You should be at the airport right now, running after Caleb!”

     “Why should I?” I said flatly.

     “Because—“

     The sudden news breakout on the television at the corner of the ceiling that was always turned on every day cut Tiffany out.

     “Hi guys, this is Katie Blair, giving you the latest Hollywood update,” she said with a pleasing smile as she usually does.  “Right now, Sabrina Birmingham, along with the other correspondents, is waiting for Caleb Princely’s return from New York.  How are you holding up, Sab?”

     The screen diverted into two, showing Sabrina on the right.  “Katie, this would be the largest welcome back for Caleb with bombs of questions that reporters are about to throw the moment Caleb shows up.  According to some sources, our superstar has finally found love with a girl named Ava Mellark who’s reportedly working for Zing magazine and currently resides in New York City.”

     “Thanks, Sabrina.  Join me in the next hour for the current happening at LAX airport.  I’m Katie Blair and you’re watching Gossip Angels.”

     Everyone in the room turned to my direction.

     “Now, there’s a premiere tonight of In Time With You at LA.  Does that sound familiar?” Tiffany said.

     I turned to her wordlessly.

     “If you’re not going to get out of here and fly to Hollywood, Mr. Burghe is totally going to fire you,” she said, sticking a plane ticket on my chest.

     “What are you waiting for, Ava?” Mr. Burghe’s voice was suddenly at the door.  “You’d probably be my dumbest employee if you won’t move your ass and kick it to California.”

     “Go Ava!!!” Everyone made a deafening cheer as I ran out the door.

     I headed straight back to the empty apartment and left a note on Haley’s nightstand.

I’m heading to LA. I borrowed your red dress for the premiere tonight.  Hope you don’t mind.   –Ava

     I packed spare clothes and a red strapless evening dress that I snagged from Haley’s side of the closet.  I picked up my nude pumps and shoved them inside my bag.  I ran downstairs and flagged a cab down as fast as I could.

     “Airport and step on it,” I instructed firmly.

     The cab driver drove as fast as he could.  I paid the fare the moment we skittered to a stop in front of the airport.  I went through the usual boarding processes and in a few hours, I have arrived on the land of fame and sex: Hollywood.

His Pride is PrejudicedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara