Chapter Nine: Breaking News

Chapter Nine
Breaking News 

I felt like I’ve thrown my money out on taxi fare because I went there expecting a great night with Caleb Princely plus, thinking that I have no chance of getting fired but I ended up sulking at the passenger’s seat because I wasn’t able to get Caleb Princely an interview and a hundred percent chance of getting fired when I get back home.

     I felt my phone buzz on my lap.  I fished my phone out of my purse and saw Haley’s name flashing on the screen.  I clicked the green button and pressed it to my ear.

     “Hello?”

     “Are you crazy?!” her voice frantically blasted through the receiver which made me flinch and separate my ear from my phone and massage the opening of my ear canal before putting it back on.

     “What are you talking about?”  I asked, perplexed.

     “Why did you spat your drink all over Caleb Princely?”

     “What?” I said, completely alarmed.

     “It’s all over the news!  What were you thinking?!”

     Of course.  That’s nothing to wonder about.  He’s Caleb Princely.  Need I say more?

“It was an accident,” explained.  “How did the news report it anyway?”

“This is a recorded footage of the news on YouTube.  Listen,” the line cackled as she placed her phone near her laptop’s speakers.

“An anonymous girl spat her drink at Caleb Princely.  According to some sources, she’s one of Caleb’s ex-girlfriends.  I guess she’s not too happy about their breakup…”  the reporter’s voice faded as Haley’s voice came back on the line.  “Now, my best advice is don’t come home.”

Dad was right.  I could’ve been more careful.  Now, I felt petrified at this moment and my mind is blank from fear.  I clutched my phone tightly as my heart throbbed with panic.  “Haley,” I said shakily.  “Could you keep me posted?”

“Sure,” her voice was full of concern.

I clicked my phone off.  And closed my eyes until the cab have stopped in front of Hot 89.  I paid the cab fee and immediately hopped off the ride.

I stood by the entrance when I saw that Mr. Woods’ television was on.  The screen played the video of me spewing out all over Caleb as the voice spoke over the footage.  “A lot of fans won’t like that but to those who have had their heart broken by Caleb, I’m sure you’ll thank this nameless-for-now woman who has given the superstar his own taste of medicine.”

Nameless for now?

Oh God.

They’re going to find out who I am.  They’re going to look for me.  Thank God my face wasn't that clear due to the dim lighting of the club.

Mr. Woods noticed that I’ve arrived.  He turned to me with a concerned face as he clicked the TV off.

“What happened?” he asked in soft, caring tones.

My knees felt shaky, nearly collapsing but I did my best to hold them up.  “It was an accident.”

Mr. Woods made his way out of the counter and escorted me inside.  “Come in, and sit down,” he gently led me to the old brown leather sofa adjacent to his reception area.  “I’ll get you a glass of water.”  He went to the curtained room at the side of the counter.  A moment later, he got me a glass of warm water.

“Thank you,” I croaked.  I sipped a generous amount of water and breathed hard.

“Are you quite alright, dear?” he asked, full of concern.

I faced the old man and shook my head.  “I’m not.”

“Do you need someone to talk to?” he offered.

Suddenly, like Niagara Falls, my mouth started to talk nonstop about what happened tonight.  After I’ve finished, Mr. Woods nodded with understanding.

“I think you’ve had enough for tonight.  Go to your room and rest.  I’ll have Amy send you breakfast tomorrow.  It’s going to be a scary world out there for you.”

I thanked Mr. Woods and helplessly gave him a hug.  He reminded me of my grandfather back when he was still alive.