Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Hesitantly I keep my eyes closed, almost scared to see what the result was. Even seeing that many people rushing out of the castle, I'm certain there are more people still in the city. I can't believe that that many lives were just taken away like that. I've heard of all of those news stories back on Earth. The terrorist attacks and the mass deaths. I never thought I'd witness something like this.

I hear Goldie gasp and grab my arm. Curiosity causes me to open my eyes and I take a step back in surprise. The Emerald City is still there and the ground has been closed up. I fleck of snow flies onto me, causing me to look up. It's not snowing outside. I pick the snow on my face up onto my finger and look at it. The thing is black and crumbles between my fingers. It's not snow.....It's ash. But the Emerald City didn't burn. It was almost swallowed by an earthquake.

That's when I realize what it is and I hastily flick the ash off of my finger and jerk my head to the rock that my sister was standing on chanting. Nothing remains except for a pile of ash that is quickly blowing away into the wind.

I fall to the ground devastated. This whole time I thought she was evil. I wouldn't listen to her explanation when she tried to explain. I thought the worst of everything she did and yet she just sacrificed her life for me. For all the people in Oz. She isn't the Wicked Witch. She's my sister. Was. Was my sister.

The guards I had talked to earlier came up to me. "Well who could have known the prophecy would be fulfilled this soon. I guess now we don't know for sure if you will come back to the Emerald City. But if you do then we will be here waiting."

I can't even muster the strength to reply. It seems like it's been forever since I had a proper nap that I willed myself to sleep.

The world around me changes. Everyone slows down till they are frozen. Not this again. Death appears out of a shadow on the ground, cloak, skull face and scythe.

"What do you want now? I lost two people in one day. Have you come to take more away from me!!?" I almost yell at Death. I'd find it kind of funny if it wasn't happening to me.

"I told you that there would be a price. I don't have control of the way the universe takes that price. However, now I am obligated to offer you a choice. If you give me your life, I will make sure that your father and sister are brought back to life. Don't decide now. I'll be back in 48 hours."

Before I have a chance to reply he disappears into the ground again and time resumes. Without a word to anyone I move as fast as I can at this moment into the castle and towards a room. This time nobody is slowing me down. One in a room with a bed I jump onto it looking to sleep as fast as possible. Goldilocks runs in after me and sees me wrapped up in a big blue and black striped blanket. She then turns around and walks out the door closing it behind her as my eyelids water and drop down bringing me into the darkness of sleep.