Chapter 57

Chapter 57

How can I be so stupid? I should have paid attention to what was happening with my mother but instead I took my eyes off of her to talk to the Ten and now she's gone.

The trees beside me move as someone comes closer. I hope to everything that it's my mother that is coming out of there. I don't want the Cardilites to find her first. Out of the trees steps Goldilocks and Alice. They see me and step back. "Are you like her?" Goldilocks asks hesitantly.

"No. I'm not evil right now."

Goldilocks, who seems to be more frightened than I've ever seen her, takes a step forward, still seeming cautious. "What happened to her?" I think this incident is taking her mind off of whatever she was mad at me about. Girls eh?

"It's too long to explain. I have to find her though, before the Cardilites do. If I don't then she'll be stuck in a prison like this until the day she dies." Happy reunion for us.

"She went that way" Alice speaks up, pointing off to behind the ashes of the card fortress. "I saw her when she left. She looked happy at so much destruction. How could anyone look happy like that after doing something so terrible. How could such a monster be in this world?"

"I know she is being a little evil right now but no need to call my mother a monster" I say, causing Alice's face to turn into shock.

"I..I..I'm sorry. I didn't realize." She stutters out an apology.

"Well it's alright. You didn't know she is my mother and you don't know about this land being possessed by some evil thing that tries to turn everything on the island evil.

"Um. Well that's something. Maybe that's why you 'forgot' about using your powers to save the Three of Hearts. The island could have done something to make you not want to, you just didn't realize it." Goldilocks buts in.

I see no better way of getting her to not be angry at me so I have to agree. "That must be it! I can't believe I didn't think of that before." Yeah right. I just forgot but ok then. "We must get to my mother fast though." Without even waiting for an answer, I start heading off toward where Alice had pointed.

"Charlie!" Goldilocks heads after me, Alice in tow. "What is your plan anyways? Sorry to say this but I don't think you are strong enough to face her. Especially when she is like this."

"I have to try. If I can get her mad enough, maybe I can get her to follow me through a portal back to Oz. Than maybe she'll be away from the negative effects and become herself again." Whatever herself is anyways.

"That's....That's actually pretty smart." Her mouth gapes.

"Ouch. Well. I'm glad you have so much faith in me Goldie." Ouch. I stop walking.That hurt my pride.

"Sorry. Charlie didn't mean it like that." She takes a step closer putting a hand on my shoulder. A tingle shoots down me body.

"I know." I shrug her arm off.

A cackling laugh echoes throughout the forest in the direction we are heading in. We all look at each other before running toward the laughter, almost afraid of what has happened now.