Chapter 32

Warnings: Mentions of blood

~Mitch's P.O.V.~

     While Lachlan and Rob rush to Vikk's side, I hastily make my way over to Jerome and Preston- both unconscious on the ground. Preston is nearest to me, so I walk over there first. His hoodie is slightly torn, and he's a bit scratched up, but other than that he looks okay. His chest rises and falls steadily, his lava skin glowing brightly even in the daylight. He'll be okay. I decide, leaving him to rest. Then I make my way over to Jerome, my stomach doing a little flip. Jerome is in a way worse condition. His fur is matted and tangled, caked with a thick layer of blood and dirt. There are multiple deep cuts and bite marks littering his body, and the grass beneath him is stained with blood, puddles of the red liquid collecting beneath him. His face is twisted into pain, eyes squeezed shut tightly, and breathing shallow.

     "ROB!" I shout desperately. "JEROME NEEDS HELP!"

     Rob scrambles to his feet, thankfully having already healed up Vikk. As Rob jobs over to Jerome and I, Lachlan helps Vikk to his feet, letting him sling an arm around his shoulder to help him walk. Rob drops to his knees beside Jerome, wasting no time in placing his hands on his knocked out form, and begging to share his energy. A wave of relief washes over me as most of the wounds seal up along his body, and his breathing normalizes.

      "Thank you." I gratify, nodding to Rob.
     Rob nods in acknowledgement, but his eyes are looking for someone else. "Where's Preston?"

     I point over to Preston's sleeping form, and Rob quickly heals me, before rushing to Preston's side. Vikk and Lachlan approach me, leaving Rob to tend to Preston. From the looks of it, Rob healed them too.

     "I've got to hand it to him," Lachlan begins, casting a glance at Rob, "He's pretty tough. Not only did he have to deal with that incredibly hard fight, but now he's healing us all too. I'm surprised he hasn't passed out yet."
     "Yeah..." Vikk agrees, rubbing his jaw, "Dark Lachlan did a number to my jaw. I don't think it's broken anymore, but it still hurts like the Nether."
     "Herobrine said this was his last challange before we faced him. I really hope he told the truth. Because I do not want to go through something like that again." I pitch in, pushing myself to my feet with a grunt.
     "Ditto." Lachlan agrees.

     Our attention then turns to Rob, now approaching us with Preston slung lazily across his shoulders. He looks extremely tired.

     "Here Rob, let me take him. You deserve a break." Lachlan offers, moving away from Vikk to carry Preston.
      Rob shakes his head, "Nah it's alright. I got him."
     "Are you sure?" Lachlan questions, baffled that Rob had declined his help.
     "I'm sure. I'll let you knew if I do end up needing help, though."
     "Okay..."

     Lachlan moves back to Vikk's side, who is walking with a slight limp. It appears he's gained some sort of leg injury from the fight, that Rob couldn't heal completely.

     "Dark Lachlan sure gave you a beating, didn't it Vikk?" I state, stooping down to pick up Jerome, and lay him over my shoulders.
     "Yeah... It didn't fight like Lachlan at all. It really threw me off." Vikk admits, rubbing the nape of his neck, looking crestfallen. "Its kinda embarrassing y'know? You all beat someone but I needed to be saved..."
     "Oi, don't be talking like that." Lachlan directs firmly, looking Vikk directly in the eye, "If it weren't for you, we would be here in the first place. You were the first one revived, after all."
     "It's true." I nod, before Vikk can say a word, "If you weren't able to save Lachlan, and then eventually the rest of us, then Acrion would be doomed.
     "Yeah... I  guess you're right." Vikk mumbles, a small smile creeping into his lips.
     "Of course I'm right! When haven't I been right?" Lachlan beams.
     "Well-"
     "Don't answer that." Lachlan cuts in, drawing a chuckle from all of us.
"Then this is it. Once we get to the nether, then we can finally kill Herobrine." I point out, everyone nodding silently. "Well then... Let's go!"

     Vikk, assuring Lachlan he can walk, takes the lead on his own. Lachlan follows, and then myself and Mitch, and finally Rob and Preston.

     But after the first few minutes I can sense Rob isn't handling carrying Preston so well. I glance over my shoulder to confirm this, seeing that sweat is rolling down his forehead, and his steps are shaky. I open my mouth to ask if he's okay, but Rob beats me to it.

     "Uh... Lachlan?" He calls faintly, just enough to halt our trek.
     "Yesssss?" Lachlan replies, turning around dramatically with a sly smirk.
     "Maybe... Um... I do need help after all." Rob admits, bes thing heavily.

     Lachlan chuckles, moving and taking Preston from Rob, who looks silently relived. Rob mumbles a 'thanks' and Lachlan nods in response, returning to his position. We all start to walk forward again, the sun beginning to dip down behind us. I readjust my grip on Jerome, huffing under hie weight. But I can manage. We advance at a nice slow pace, Vikk leading us slowly due to his slight limp. But none of us mind, we're tired anyways. But now that we're so close to the Capital, we all wordlessly agree sleep can wait.

     These are the thoughts running through my head, but then they are sharply cut off, when I hear a fifth set of foot steps behind us, muffled by the grass. I whirl around just in time to see a white-eyed Enderman stalking Rob.

     "HEY!" I shout, simultaneously alerting everyone of danger.

     Everyone, including Rob, spins around. But it's too late. The Enderman harshly grabs Rob, gurgling, and then teleports away. A small piece of paper with writing on it is all that's left in their wake, fluttering down silently on the wind.

     Too shocked to speak, Vikk steps forward, eyes widening in shock.

     "What does it say?" Lachlan demands.
     "'Come to my fortress if you ever want to see Robert again.' Signed by Herobrine."
     "But he said the dark versions of us were his last trap!" I exclaim, nearly dropping Jerome.
     Vikk shakes his head sadly. "It's Herobrine, we should've known better."
     "But that's so Darude! He struck us when we're already weak!" Lachlan rants.
     Vikk sighs, "Once again. That's Herobrine for you."
     "But are we actually going?" I continue, "It's obviously a trap."

     Vikk sighs again, crumpling up the note and tossing it on the ground, turning his back to us.

     "We have no choice."

~~~

Question of the chapter:

Oooooh snap. How are they gonna get out of this one?

My answer: 🤐