V. A Deliberate Accident

Mr. Gruff was named for the obvious reason that he spoke gruffly most of the time. His statements were most often crustily delivered and he was Sophia's least favorite.

He paced around Sophia's dimly lit room and cursed when he stumbled over Aabha who was peacefully sleeping at the foot of the bed.

Sophia did not flinch at his expletives for she had heard far worse in her many years in the brothel. Her uncle was amongst the many men who introduced the language to her from the moment she woke up that fateful night twenty years past.

Marcus left a note for Mr. Gruff that morning and it was apparent that he did not like what was written there.

"Three women? How am I expected to supply three! Women are getting scarce!"

Sophia sighed. She wished she had turned on the ceiling lamp so she could see the damage Mr. Gruff was doing to her furniture. She did not like stumbling over misplaced things.

"Sir," she said, breaking her silence, "I would appreciate if you cease talking about the contents of the letter. I have no wish to hear every detail of your transactions. Lord Durley would also appreciate if you avoid slips."

"And who would you repeat my words to?" he snapped at her. "Your lovers? You do not have one." The contempt in his voice was outward but Sophia let it pass. It was tedious to defend herself to the likes of Mr. Gruff.

Like Lord Cigar, he was here for the money. But unlike the former, Mr. Gruff had no other reason.

"Ah, but you are amongst those who brag of your visits in my chamber, are you not?" she taunted. "Whatever reason you may have for coming here, you still go around Town, enjoying the envy of those who are spared of my presence."

"You speak to me as though we are equals, Sophia, dear. You very know you are far beneath my race."

"Yet you speak of me to the men outside as though I am a goddess who acclaims your virile." Her lips curved at his lack for words. "You take advantage of my mysterious nature, neglecting of my true one in presence of your equals, letting slide the important details about me that would have made them judge not just me, but you as well."

He grumbled under his breath. Sophia heard him crumple the letter in his hand. "I do sure hope you can clearly see, dear Sophia. Because once you stare at yourself in a viewing glass and see more than mere shadows, you shall kneel at my feet in gratitude for giving you a false image amongst my colleagues."

Sophia remained calm. She had heard him say the same words before, most often in times when he could not form a better statement.

"Tell Durley his request shall be done in a fortnight, no less." Her jaw tightened when his weight made her bed screech. She hated that he'd spoil her most favorite part in the chamber. "And wake me up when it is time to leave."

She forced herself a smile although she doubted he saw it. "Of course."

*****

She opened her eyes and saw nothing. And the pain attacked. She moaned beneath her panting breath, desperate for relief.

The panic was winning, numbing the pain.

Why couldn't she see? What was happening to her? Was she dying? Why couldn't she remember?

"I see yer awake."

Sophia opened her eyes wide and groaned in frustration when she felt for her damp forehead. Why could she not simply dream of that night without physically suffering?

When would the time come that she would not have to cower at the sound of his voice?

With a groan, she pushed away from the mattress. Aabha moved beside her and she hushed him back to sleep. Brigid purred lazily from a corner.