XV. Then

Sophia stumbled back.

"I-I d-don't understand..." she stammered, her brows slowly forming into a frown.

Nicholas' hand tightened around her arm. "Dare not deny it, Sophia. You fooled us all!"

Sophia was lost for words. She wondered then if it was possible to die at will because at that moment, while Nicholas was shaking with rage, she had no other desire.

But the shock was slowly being replaced by the feeling of betrayal. Marcus had betrayed her.

Marcus, the only man she could fully trust with her life had given her his word and disregarded it all the same.

"Choose your next words wisely, Sophia," Nicholas seethed above her, twisting her arm to elicit a wince from her. "Tell me the bloody truth now!"

Despair fell upon her. What had happened to his brother? Was he alive?

Sophia had to go. She had to find Marcus. She had to demand for answers.

Why did he betray her?

"Open your bloody mouth and speak!" Nicholas hissed at her, shaking her with one hand. "Did Durley put you through it?" he demanded.

Her face blanched. Oh God, Marcus was here. Nicholas was in no condition to properly think.

Fearing for the worst, Sophia's mind reeled as she thought of a way to make Nicholas go away. He had to go. If Marcus did not hesitate to harm Ralph and the Guards, he would not do so again with Nicholas.

"I did it on my own volition," managed to say without her voice shaking. She pulled away from his grip and he let go of her, pushing her away as if the touch of her scorched him. She fought the tears that threatened to come out by stepping back. Aabha went to stand between her and Nicholas.

Nicholas scoffed at her in disbelief. "God, you are not even denying it."

Sophia tightened her jaw and lifted her chin. She shrugged. "I had to do everything as planned."

"What? Because you have no other choice? Tell me the truth now, Sophia." His voice had softened as he stepped closer and Sophia heard desperation edge his tone. "Did Durley force you into this? He has this much power over you that your own freedom no longer matters?"

If she told him the truth, he would ask her to leave with him. He would even resort to hauling her over his shoulder and escape Rock'oles. She did not want that.

She would ruin him.

She shook her head and forced a mocking smile on her lips. They gave a slight quiver but she hoped Nicholas did not notice it. "No. I never hesitated to do anything. I never strayed from our plans. I never planned to betray Lord Durley, my lord, for I love him and I will do anything for him."

Her hands balled into fists beside her. He had to go. Marcus could come back anytime soon.

He had to go!

"If you wish to send the Guards to capture me, please do so. I will merely be glad to provide them with a good service for that is all I know. Your statements against us shall hold no weight for you do not have the evidence. You do not have the letters."

Go, Nick. Please, go.

She had thought of many ways to part from him and this was not one of them. But perhaps this was the most effective. Truly, how ironic!

He let out a mocking chuckle and Sophia's nostrils flared at how he was behaving. The man standing before her was far from the man she loved. And she was to blame for it. He ought to blame her for everything. She would gladly burn in hell for what she had caused.