XXX. A Reunion

"I do not resort to giving out blows like you and your brothers, Whiston," Durley said, his words distinctly said, giving Nicholas the impression that the man was very well-equipped with his temper. "I merely give threats." Durley stood up, eyes fixed on Nicholas. "And I make certain I execute them should my expectations not be met."

Nicholas did feel alarmed by the threat, considering Emma was somewhere in Wickhurst, probably doing whatever unmarried woman ought not to, unaware and without protection. He had the sudden urge to jump to his feet and return to Wickhurst and lock his sisters to safety, but he also knew that Durley was merely doing what any brother would do.

He must play this right if he wanted to have a peaceful end to all this.

If Margaret was here with him, his sister would deal with Durley in the same manner any member of the League of Founders would. She would have Durley chained, interrogate the bastard and catch Osegod.

But Nicholas did not have the same loyalty to the League as his sister had. He was merely loyal to family. He was merely loyal to his instincts.

He realized he finally came to the point where he was forced to make a decision: believe Sophia's story or not.

He chose the former and decided to risk the consequences by saying, "You shall see her soon, Durley," he said, noting the great relief on the man's face which Durley quickly covered with a menacing scowl. So the man was not quite so certain he had Sophia all along. "But you must be patient for I shall demand one thing from you before I take you to her."

Durley looked at Nicholas, gauging his demeanor, assessing his resolve. Nicholas held his breath, perfecting a look of nonchalance while his heart hammered hard against his chest.

When Durley showed his resignation by returning to his seat, Nicholas crossed his leg over the other and uttered, "The truth."

Durley's lips twitched into a smile. "What truth, Whiston? I have quite a few hidden."

"Start from the beginning. Your family. Osegod. Everything."

Durley wryly looked at him and a soft chuckle escaped the man's throat. "You are talking about years of narrative, Whiston. A day shall not suffice to tell you everything."

"Then perhaps your sister can wait where she is," Nicholas said with a sigh. "But by your expression, I know you cannot wait longer than a couple of hours to see her so start talking now and try your best to compress everything in merely a few statements."

Durley chuckled, giving Nicholas a condescending look. "You are not aware of what I am capable of, Whiston. Hand me my sister now or—"

"Give me what I want and you will see her. I give you my word."

Durley's smile vanished as he glared at Nicholas intensely. His eyes narrowed as the powerful tension grew between them. His voice as he said, "Sophia told you everything," almost came out as a snarl.

Nicholas merely shrugged. "Talk."

The man's jaw tightened, fury rebuilding in his dark brown eyes. "I reckon she has already told you how she grew up in Mecklenberg as my father's bastard with a servant." When Nicholas did not provide a sign of affirmation, Durley continued. "You must also be fully aware by now of the massacre."

"How did you escape?" Nicholas asked.

Durley's eyes narrowed at him, aware that Nicholas was testing Sophia's story. "We escaped the estate just as the fire was starting to engulf it. Sophia was captured, her mother suffered an injury. She sacrificed herself to help me escape. I did with naught but a promise to the woman that I shall find Sophia." Nicholas waited, knowing that the next part was important. Sophia did not elaborate on how Durley managed to survive all these years.