XXXIII. Unexpected Unwelcome

If Nicholas thought that taking Sophia to Wickhurst shall be welcomed by his mother, he was utterly wrong.

Lady Alice was surprised, yes, but she also showed nothing else. She was not devastated, but she was oddly silent when Nicholas introduced his fiancée to her and Emma. His sister made it easier by claiming that Miss Sophia was a friend she had the honor to meet during the Theobald party.

Disappointed as he was with his mother's reaction, Nicholas did not let it deter him from his plans to announce his engagement on the Herald next week. His mother shall get over her shock soon enough. Marrying a colored woman, particularly one from Rock'oles, was just not done. Of course, Lady Alice deserved time to further sort her feelings.

But Sophia was the first to suggest that they must take into account his mother's feelings. She took a moment to speak to him alone while Lady Alice disappeared to discuss with the housekeeper their plans for dinner. Emma went out to send notes to the rest of the family.

"I could remain your mistress, Nick," she even dared say, making Nicholas cry in outrage.

He paced around the parlor like a caged wild boar. "I want the biggest scandal. I want everyone to know you are mine. So no, Sophie, you shall be my wife."

"I cannot clearly see your mother's face, Nick, but I am not numb to not feel that she does not like this at all."

"She is merely surprised. She will come to accept it soon."

The planned dinner with his mother and Emma turned into a feast for almost the entire family except Benedict and Levi. Ysabella and Wakefield were the first to arrive with his sister pulling Sophia to her feet to introduce to her husband.

"She is the Miss Sophia I told you about, William," she said, to which her husband replied with a bow and a kiss on Sophia's hand. "She spoke very highly of your beauty, Miss Sophia and I must agree. You are more beautiful than my wife!" Wakefield uttered, causing Sophia to blush.

When Ralph arrived looking like he ran all the way from his own apartment to the Everard estate, it was Emma and Ysabella who dragged him to meet Sophia. It was their first meeting and considering Ralph's experience from the ambush, Nicholas took it upon himself to pull his brother aside and tell him the truth behind the attack.

Not five minutes later, Ralph was already unveiling Nicholas' dirtiest secrets in front of Sophia and the others.

Maxwell and Maxine arrived with their daughter who was introduced as Emmie, Bea and Max by anyone who had already chosen their own moniker for the babe.

Maxwell took Nicholas aside to ask, "I am not surprised you are marrying her, Nick, but I must admit I am surprised Mother is completely quiet in one corner. She is not sick, is she?"

His eyes went to Lady Alice who was sitting in a winged chair, looking at Sophia with a frown on her face. Suddenly he grew uncomfortable. Could his mother be considering their family's reputation? After having almost begged Agatha to marry Benedict in the midst of a scandal of her being a witch? After she showed her support when Levi and Maxwell eloped with their respective wives? After she showed Cole kindness despite what he caused Benedict in the past?

What did she see in her children-in-law that she could not seem to see in Sophia? What could she not accept? Sophia's color?

"Do not do it," Maxwell said when he made an attempt to go to their mother. "She will get over it."

"But I do not wish for Sophia to feel unwanted," he insisted. "Look at her, Max, she keeps gazing over our mother as if she can see her!"

Maxwell simply shrugged and patted his shoulder.