XVII. Of Mistresses

Waiting for their mother and Emma to decide to leave behind whatever it was they were doing and go straight to Theobald, Nicholas and Ralph decided to stretch their legs and do the waiting outside by the carriage.

"The League has decided to loosen their watch over Durley," Ralph uttered, tone edged with derision.

"Why in tarnation would they do that?" Nicholas asked almost in outrage. He glared down at his brother as if he was amongst the Leaguers responsible for such atrocious decision.

"As what I heard being whispered amongst the Guards, they are looking into a more potential angle in the trade. They are giving all their efforts in trapping Baldwin. I believe the man's wife is not very well and the League might be thinking of using her as means to pulling Baldwin to their side."

"They cannot completely discount Durley now. If they want to solve the slave trade, they ought to provide him even more attention."

Ralph sighed and turned away, his brows forming a frown. "I believe, Nick, that the League does not consider the slave trade their utmost priority as much as they do jolting Osegod out of power."

"Then they could all go to hell with Osegod," Nicholas spat out. "The lot of them are naught but hypocrites. It is all politics, brother. How could the lives of hundreds of slaves be less important than Osegod?"

Ralph shrugged. "The good for many does not necessarily mean the good for all."

"Bloody tarnation."

Ralph sighed, his shoulders dropping with resignation. "Durley has the attention of the Town at the moment. His current celebrated status has been making it difficult for anyone to spy on him. It is better to let things calm down and the people's attention to wane for a while."

"And before we know it, the bastard has already taken over the Town and the League has simply let it happen. No wonder I never had the compulsion to join them." He threw Ralph a look. "And the Guards had let it happen."

Ralph glared at him. "Careful with your words, brother, we are not giving up."

"Whatever do you mean?"

Ralph shrugged. "Since the League has deliberately left Durley alone, I believe it is not entirely criminal to spy on him on our own. After all, we lost two of our own because of the bastard."

Nicholas' jaw clenched. He would never get over the guilt. If he was not too naïve, those two men would still be alive.

"I am considering asking Samuel's help."

Nicholas' jaw dropped in disbelief.

"Durley owns the Herald after all."

"You cannot truly think it wise to ask Samuel to be a spy, Ralph," he nearly growled. Emma and their mother's voice could be heard approaching from inside the estate. Nicholas stepped closer and hissed, "Things might end up badly like the last time. You cannot trust anyone associated with Durley. Even Samuel."

Ralph scoffed. "Bloody hell, Nick, he is my friend. He is loyal to the family."

"And have we not learned enough about friends betraying friends?" Emma and their mother were now descending the stairs to the driveway. "Find someone else who can spy on the man. For God's sake, Ralph, spare Samuel."

"Gloves make my hands sweat, Mother, I do not need them!" Emma was whining as they approached.

"You do," Nicholas snapped at her as he opened the door of the carriage.

"No, I do not—"

"Yes, you do," Ralph added sternly.

"See?" their mother said to Emma as she followed her daughter inside the carriage. "Your brothers agree! You cannot show too much skin, Emma, dear."