Chapter 19- First Step

Chapter 19

First Step

Kaiser Donovan

I woke up in my bed with a panic in my back. I got up as I stretched.

I thought back to the night before. After I went downstairs, August joined me and my father took some pizza up to his office.

It was the definition of awkward. August distracted himself with his phone as we silently ate our pizza on the kitchen island. When he finished, he nearly flew back to his room.

I, then, returned to my room and proceeded to spend my night reading books in the dark.

I look at the clock. 2:31. I cursed in my head. It was almost time to go to therapy, which was allowed even though school wasn't.

I took a quick shower and got dressed. I opened my bedroom door and saw my dad standing there with his hand raised ready to knock.

"You're finally awake. Hurry up and come downstairs to eat something. We have to get to Ms McCain's soon." He said before heading back downstairs.

I followed him. In the kitchen, I opened the fridge and took out the milk. I got my favorite cereal, Honey Bunches Of Oats, and poured it into a bowl. Cereal always goes before the milk.

I indulged myself with two bowls. After eating, I washed them and placed them back with the rest.

By the time I was done, it was nearly three.

My dad walked into the kitchen and asked if I was ready. I nodded.

We headed out. I grabbed my jacket and hat on the way.

The drive was longer than usual. We had gone a different way. I noticed that my father had chosen a different road, a more crowded one.

We managed to make in to the office with ten minutes before my session. My dad dropped me off and walked me in, like always.

"I'll be back for you in a hour, okay?" He said, like always.

And I nodded, like always.

He left. I looked around the room.

Someone caught my eye. A girl. I hadn't seen here before. But then again, I was never early before. She had long, curly brown hair. Her eyes were a light blue which complimented her tan skin tone. She moved her head, facing me.

Making eye contact with me.

I dropped my gaze, realizing that I had been starting. Seconds later, the seat besides me had been occupied. By her. The girl that I was creepily staring at from across the room. If I was straight and this was a teen love story, I would say that this is the moment that we feel in love.

But it wasn't. And I wasn't. We were in a therapist clinic. Something was obviously wrong with us. Both of us.

I felt the girl's eyes on me. Was this how she felt when I was staring at her?

I slowly rose my head and looked at her. She had a huge smile which showed her dimple in both of her cheeks. She was beautiful. There was no denying that.

"Hi!" She said cheerfully with a little wave of her hand.

I returned the wave and returned my gaze to the floor.

"My name's Victoria." She spoke again.

I nodded to acknowledge that I was listening. I didn't know what else to do. I didn't know how to respond.

"What's yours?"

I looked up at her again. She had a curious look in her eyes. I opened my mouth to respond but no sound came out. I groaned in frustration. What was wrong with me?

A minute passed. And then another. And another. A look of realization flashed through her eyes.

"Is that what you're in here for? Because you can't talking?" She asked.

There was more to it but I couldn't explain so I nodded.

She smiled and said, "That's okay. I can talk for both of us!"

I smiled slightly.

"You're so cute! A totally twink."

I blushed heavily.

"Since you can't talk, I will!" She smiled.

I looked over at Ms. McCain's office. She wasn't done. She wouldn't be able to help me.

I didn't know what to do. I rubbed my hands against my pants, wiping off the accumulating sweat. My heart rate was slowly increasing. I hated how close she was. If she had been a man, I would've passed out or freaked out by now.

Victoria kept rambling on and on about whatever she was talking about.

I closed my eyes and forced myself to slow my breathing. I felt a hand on my shoulder and my whole body tensed up.

"Are you okay?" Victoria's soft voice met with my ears.

I nodded slowly. She moved back a little.

"I'm sorry. Sometimes I get to close and personal with people. I can't help it. It's the whole reason that I'm here." She laughed softly.

I let out a shaky breath and let myself relax. I gave her a small smile.

She smiled back and asked, "So, you're okay?"

I nodded.

"Great! I was really worried that I had scared you away. I'm not good at making friends. Something to do with me talking a lot. But that shouldn't be a problem with you. So we could be besties! OMG! It'll be great. We could go to movies and shopping and dinner and parties. I've never had a best friend. I can't wait. Do you have a phone?"

I nodded hesitantly.

"Give me it." She said with her hand out.

I handed it to her. She saved her contact as New Best Friend. She, then texted herself from my phone to get my number. She saved my contact as Cutie Pie. I blushed at the name.

Ms. McCain walked out of her office.

"I'm sorry, Kaiser. I needed some extra time with my other patient. I've already informed your dad that we'll finish later."

I nodded in acknowledgment.

"And who's your friend?" She asked when she finally noticed Victoria.

Victoria stood up and introduced herself.

"Victoria Sinclair." She said.

"You're one of Monroe's patients, right?" Ms. McCain asked

Victoria nodded.

"Well, come on Kai. We already have a late start."

I stood up and followed her into her office.

"Bye Kai!" Victoria yelled. "I'll see you on... well the next time that we are both here!"

I waved in response. And smiled when I realized that she learned my name.

I sat on the couch and looked at my therapist. She had a big smile on her face.

"Communicating with other people. That's the first step to getting better, Kai. Good job."

I smiled, finally feeling slightly better.

*******

So Sorry For The Really Late Update.

3.09k Reads.
183 Votes.
44 Comments.

5/21/17

Please Vote And Comment!