Chapter 8 - Repayment

At school a couple days later, the hallways and classes were abuzz with chatter and people looking over newspaper. Confused, you walked over to one group where a friend was.

"Hey, (Friend's name), what's the deal? What's everyone worked up about?" You asked.

"You haven't heard?! An infamous murderer was caught last night! Jeff the Killer, and they're going to hold a trial really soon for him, here, in our city! Its going to broadcasted all across the globe!" They responded.

You felt your stomach drop at the news.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah! Its being called the trial of the decade, and the cops who caught him are saying they're gonna try and catch more of those serial killers!"

You blinked rapidly. If they were going to try that, well, it wasn't going to end well. No doubt the rest of the pack has already heard this and planned to get him out.

"Oh, this reminded me, I have to ah, go get some books from the Library. I'll see you later!" You called, running towards the stairs.

Once there, you ditched your bag in the front, taking only a stack of paper and your pencil case, and walked to the Librarian's desk.

"Hey, um, where are the books on law? Particularly the ones about murder?" You asked.

The Librarian pointed you to the back, and you nodded your thanks, quickly making your way there.

You sat down in front of the shelves, quickly running through the titles until you found one you thought would be relevant to what you wanted. You would set that aside from the rest and continue searching. After more than half an hour of searching, you had a substantial pile of thick law books to search through, which you dragged to one of the circular tables and set to work.

At lunch, your friend who told you about Jeff's capture, walked in, sitting down next to you. As you flipped through the pages of books and scribbled down notes, they peaked at the other notes you had made.

"Alright, (f/n), what are you doing? You weren't in class this morning."

"Research." You responded, closing one book and opening another.

"Why?"

"Long story."

"Care to share? We've got time."

"No. And you have time, I don't."

"Why's that?"

"Need to get this done."

"Why?"

"Already said, not telling."

Your friend sighed, instead watching what you write before leaving.

By the time third period ended, you had finished all your notes with a very sore hand. The pages were sorted into previous cases of serial killers, duration of jail sentences, what can get death row, and more.

In fourth period, you ignored the teacher and read through your notes, highlighting very relevant information. As far as you could tell, he was going to get death row.

Jeff had saved your life.

You planned to return the favour.

~~~

Four days later

"Has anyone seen (f/n)? S/he hasn't been here for a few days."

Heads turned, searching the classroom for the (h/c) hair, with no success. A small murmur broke out of people asking each other.