Chapter 4: Den of Thieves

Walters residence in the Homeless Hamlet

'Well if he's determined to become more then he is, I'll gladly guide him. A royal favor is worth its weight in gold.' After some careful contemplation, Walter decided to continue training Seshwan to become a thief. That is, if he could pass the masters test.

"Sesh, it's not about what your origins were, what's truly important is what your future holds." Walter smiled after speaking.

Walters reassuring comment left Seshwan momentarily confused.

"You're right I'll make my own future. Thank you Walter." Seshwan starred toward the wall of the shack his eyes gleaming with new found purpose.

"The test will be in a few hours, let's head to the guild hall." Walter stood and headed toward the door; leading the way out into the cistern.

After leaving the Hut, Walter froze the door closed, sealing it from anyone who may be curious. Only an essence user of equal or greater strength could break this kind of seal.

"I'm ready, lead on." Seshwan, now filled with determination, couldn't wait to see what the black lotus had in store for him.

The pair walked to the east side of the hamlet, a small stall sat at the entrance of a drainage channel. The old man from two days prior was sleeping in a chair behind the counter of the stall.

"Hey! Horus wake your old ass up I'm here for the tests I brought my new apprentice!" Walter slammed his hands onto the table top startling the old man.

"Walter you little shit get the hell away from my stall, a kid like you will scare away my customers!" Horus shouted at Walter rather gruffly, Seshwan couldn't help laughing with his mouth covered at the exchange between these two.

"Just go inside and register with your ward." Horus was old and no longer wished to deal with the antics of youth. He looked up at Seshwan and with a wink he sent chills down Seshwan's back.

'What the hell was that?' Seshwan suddenly felt awkward and out of place. This old man had killed his confidence in a single motion.

"Hey old man! Don't you creep out my apprentice, this kid could kill you if you're not careful." Walter warned Horus more for Seshwan's benefit. He didn't need this creepy old bastard hanging around Seshwan.

They passed into the drainage tunnel which was well lit with torches. Once inside Walter turned to Seshwan, "Listen kid; avoid Horus, he's kind of queer in his old age. Not sure he'd do anything to you, but old people are unpredictable and smell funny! never trust them."

"This coming from the hundred year old kid." Seshwan jested at Walter only because he sounded ridiculously hypocritical.

Walter snapped about and delivered a swift kick to Seshwan's abdomen. "Don't call me a kid! shitty brat!"

Seshwan dropped to his knees, he hadn't been hit hard but Walter was a master assassin and had struck his central essence realm which hurt like hell to Seshwan but had very little effect on his actual physical state. "You crazy old bastard you could kill me if you're not careful! Geez!"