Chapter 6: Soul Branding

The Black Lotus hall was silent; all eyes were on Seshwan as he held the previously sapphire orb in his right hand. All views were speechless they'd never seen a unique essence before in their lives. It was completely common place to see someone without essence affinity. To the common people this unique essence has an unknown ability. It could possibly execute any technique regardless of essence affinity or command any element. Much was still unknown about Seshwan's abilities, which would mean this individual had potential to rise above the heavens as an ascendant. The ascendants are humans who gain the power of the gods and leave the normal plain of existence to a realm only described in legends.

A multitude of questions whirled around inside Seshwan's mind. 'was this why I was set a back? could someone really hate me for being special? Why me of all people?' all questions he had no answer too.

"Hey kid, this is probably why you got poisoned and lost your cultivation ability." Walter wore a serious expression as he stared toward his apprentice.

'I mocked this boy because I thought he was no more than an exiled son. Who would have thought he actually far surpasses me in potential strength?' Walter now felt embarrassed for having mocked Seshwan so much over the last few days.

Seshwan's expression turned dark as he racked his mind trying to recall an opportunity to have been poisoned. No one was aware of his unique essence other than the members of this guild. Even the masters at arms in the capital all thought he was just a useless offspring of some noble. He had never taken a test like this in his entire life.

"Poisoned you say?" Master lotus stroked his beard as he thought.

"Yes master I couldn't cultivate at all because of great pain, every time I attempted to draw in energy I experienced extreme backlash. Until 3 days ago I met master Walter. Through some unorthodox methods he cured the poisoning and even gave me a cultivation technique. [The tectonic shell]." Seshwan recalled the details of the past few days they were mostly a blur of training, cultivating and preparation for this day.

"That's just it boy you've manifested an essence that should hold some immunity to the kind of poisoning your describing." Master lotus continued to hold a deep expression as he thought. " The only way you could be effected to that extent would be through essence branding or demon blood curses."

Xerxes looked over at the mention of demons and cursing. "He couldn't have been cursed. a blood curse would leave scaring on his skin and he would have suffered to death by now, at a young age if you come in contact with a curse that's not cured by holy blessings you will succumb to the demonic power and either die or turn into a ghoul."

Seshwan had heard of ghouls before. Corrupt rotting bags of flesh that roamed desolate towns and plains they thrived and sustained themselves on flesh. Disgusting creatures of pure evil and malice.

"Master what's essence branding?" Walter asked as he was just as puzzled as the rest of the other masters. Master lotus had lived a few centuries longer than the rest and traveled all a crossed the continent, many lost techniques and abilities along with knowledge were passed down to his direct disciples.

"Essence branding is a taboo art of forcibly manipulating another person's essence through old demonic contracts. You could easily cripple someone physical or completely ruin their progress in cultivation making them completely useless. The reason it's a taboo is because it of the sacrifice and ancient rites that are needed to be performed in order to use it. The name 'branding' comes from the damage left on the five realms the scarring will permanently leave a mark. Seshwan your realms must have endured an intense amount of scaring, likewise with who ever used the branding."