What Comes Next

Well, I no longer know what is going on, really. If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure I made some new friends, not sure how, but you know, good for me.

I greet my mother this morning with a kiss on the cheek, a pat on the back and a,
"Good morning."

"Good morning, dear. Cheerful this morning, are we? What did I miss?" Mother asks, a little weirded out.
Just so you know, I am definitely not a morning person, definitely.

"No, nothing too out of the ordinary, I guess?" I say.

"If you're sure" she replies.

I smile, grabbing my pancakes off the counter, my mom also makes the best breakfasts. Mornings are her trialing stage, so sometimes I have things to choose from during breakfast, even though they aren't all breakfast foods.

"Sorry about yesterdays leftovers, darling. Didn't mean to mix the two, but didn't want to waste any more food, either." She says honestly.

"It was barely edible, I just split the two and ate them seperately." I answer with utter most truth.

"Really sorry, I'll try harder tonight. Pretty embarrassing that I can feed this whole town, but can't feed my own daughter good food." She laughs.

"I can scavenge some other foods from the fridge, I could always just make a sandwich." I giggle, as well.

As mother reads the news off her phone and shares with me every gruesome detail, I shudder, I always have to be warned by my mother of the weirdos on the street, at least, it plasters the image in my head of what could happen.

My mother finds it all so fascinating, I'm honestly afraid of the terrifying reality of the news, she will still read it to me, none the less.

"Okay, sweetheart. Good luck at school. Be safe. Love you." She says as she passes me my lunch.
"I love you, too, mom." I say wholeheartedly, giving her a hug on the way out.

******

After the journey in the car, consisting of me listening to indie music with a hint of some mainstream pop, I'm at school.
I hop out my ride, as the cool kids do. Then, I walk to my locker, shove some books, that I'll be using later that day, in there and then I wait around awkwardly, for the bell to ring.

I have homeroom first, I don't really understand homeroom, we don't really learn anything and I feel like it's just a waste of time, I'd so much rather be at home right now, watching TV or scrolling through Facebook which I haven't updated in over a year. Facebook is literally an open stalking sight for most, but I look at videos of cute cats on it, and no, it never gets old.

******

"Hey, friend!" Ruby shrieks, as she sits down next to me.
"Why are you screaming?" I ask
"Sorry, just came out like that." She says, looking around.
I wonder if she thinks I'm dumb? Does she really think I'm that dumb?
I know what's going on here.

"Hey, friend! So, about yesterday can I ask, again, why you were--!!" I shriek over-dramatically before she puts her hand over my mouth.
"Ew, did you just lick me?" She asks.
I shrug, pretending I don't know what she's talking about.
"Why did you do that?" She asks.
"Do what?, oh, announce that yesterday I caught you cr--" I reply, before she puts her hand over my mouth, again, but this time she removes it a little faster.
"Stop." She frowns.

"Can you explain to me, what's going on then?" I ask.
"Nothing. I don't know what you're--" She says right before I put my hand on her mouth and interrupt her to say,
"Oh right, I caught you--" I say, to annoy her.
"Fine. Talk to me during break. Not here. I'll tell you. Promise." She says.
I smile at her waiting for her to smile back, but instead she walks away.

******

"Hello." Someone whispers into my ear, 2 minutes after Ruby walks away.
The persons voice sends goosebumps down my back, I watch as they start to giggle at my fright.
"What do you want, Xavier?" I ask, afraid and ashamed.
"Nothing, to chat." He laughs, still remembering the shock in my face.
"Okay, well..." I wait.
"Why were you talking to the ginger godess?" He asks.
Ruby is known as the ginger goddess amongst us less popular kids, well most know her as the ginger godess, popular or not.

Ruby is quite pretty, she has a dark ginger tone to her hair, but it defrintiates in tones, her dark green eyes are almond shaped and she has beautifully arched eyebrows. She will wear a lot of makeup on some special occasions, maybe when she has a new outfit or new shoes, but in my opinion she looks good with and without makeup. I can't lie, she could be a great makeup artist, I'v seen how she has completely changed a girls face to the point were she is utterly unrecognisable.

"Hello?" Xavier says loudly, into my ear.
"Yes?" I answer, confused.
"Why were you talking to Ruby?" He asks.
"I don't actually know. She came to me." I admit, thinking how stupid I sound.
"It's hard to believe the goddess came to you." He smirks like an evil mastermind from a movie.
"Believe it." I smile black, cheekily.
"Anyway, what should our next adventure be?" He smiles again.
"I'll choose." I blurt out excitedly.

******

Tomorrow is coming but it's not here yet. Until then.

-Veronica Jones.