Chapter 8

Streaks of sun rays pried open her eyes. Sandra woke up to be greeted by Michael, "How are you feeling now?"

"I'm better, thank you. Eh... What time is it?"

"A little after noon."

"WHAT??!!"

"Yeah. I came to wake you up in the morning, and you wouldn't answer the door. I got worried especially when I noticed the door was not locked."

'He didn't find me on the stairs? I was on the stairs right?' Well, she couldn't remember clearly.

"And?"

" I'm really sorry, but I took the liberty to come in just to make sure you were still there."

"Yeah yeah Michael. Where was I? Where did you find me then?"

"On your bed of course. Where else would I find you?" He sounded confused.

"I was in my room?!! You are saying you found me on my bed?!!"

"Yeah Sandra. And you were not in good shape. You were running quite a temperature. I didn't know what to do. The doctor lives in town an hour from here, and I couldn't leave you alone in this state. So I simply kept trying some remedies my mother taught me. I guess it worked. You look better", Michael smiled, like the Greek God he is...

Oh stop it Sandra! Not now of all times!

"Thank you so much Michael. But there's something I want to tell you about," her voice faltered.

Do not tell anyone. If you want to live.

That ice cold sound of a woman rang in her ears. Sandra wasn't sure if it was the fear, or the danger in the threat or mostly the doubt that Michael might not believe her and she'll sound like a complete lunatic, Sandra decided not to speak of last night.

"What is it Sandra?"

"Ehmmm.. did you see the mechanic? I need to go home right away."

"That's what I told you, I haven't left your side. I'll go this evening though I feel the chances are slim now. It's better we try tomorrow."

"Oh no no. I can't stay here another night."

Michael looked hurt.

"I mean, there is an emergency at home. I need to go today. I guess I'll walk while there's light. I'll reach town in 2-3 hours right?"

"That's right. But what about the friend you came looking for?"

Amy! How could she forget Amy! Sandra was starting to have a really bad feeling about all this. Something inside kept telling her that Amy was in trouble.
In a place like this. Where would she have been at night?
But staying here for another day.... After what she saw... It felt so real, so true. It couldn't have been a dream.

'God! What do I do?!' Sandra burst out in tears.

"Its alright Sandra. We'll find Amy together. Please don't cry. Talk to me. Tell me what is worrying you."

Do not tell anyone.

"Its..... Its just Amy. I have to find her."

"I have an idea. Its only 14:00 now, there will be enough light for another 3 hours anyways. First we'll eat some food, fuel ourselves and I'll come with you, let's do a search in the forest. I have been here for quite some time, I know all the trekking sites."

"And if we don't find her?", her voice quivered.

"Then the first thing we do tomorrow morning would be to go to the town. Report to the police. Get a mechanic, come back, fix your car. And bye bye...... Might I add, she, Amy, is probably just having some fun with her boyfriend and all this worry might be totally unnecessary," Michael smiled naughtily.

" Okay fine. Let's go then."

---------------------------------------------

Pine trees. Tall pine trees as if their life's goal was to touch the sky. While the small shrubs down below looked at them in envy. The sun shone through them, caressing them softly. It was a nice bright evening. And they were out searching for Amy and James. Sandra looked at Michael, he was being such a gentleman, a great help. Does he like her? Why else would a guy take so much pain? She could feel herself blushing.

'Oh! What about Alex?!

Stop it Sandra! Stop it! Stop it!'

"You don't like my Inn?"

"Huh?"

"You have been wanting to leave since the moment you landed. You don't like my Inn?" asked Michael

"I'm so sorry if I made such an impression. Its not the Inn, I don't like this place in general, its so deserted  and dark all the time."

"Ha ha ha... Dark?! I feel its got the best view Casper Hills has to offer."

"Hmm.. How long have you been here? Don't you feel lonely?"

"This place was run by my father. I was abroad studying. But then he called me back a few months ago. Said I wasn't being a good Christian! Haha. I returned, did part time jobs in the town. It was all fun till 2 months back. He passed away."

"I'm so sorry."

"Its alright. And yes I have been feeling lonely since then. So having customers makes me happy. Which is why I'm adamant that they should be kept happy too. So please madam, smile for my sake,"  Michael pouted like a small boy.

He was quite handsome.

Sandra! Stop!

Sandra smiled wide, " Happy?"

He gave her a thumbs up.

"Where are we going? You told me its close by," she asked suddenly aware of the surroundings.

" Sandra, we already passed by 2 trekking sites."

"What? How come? How do you know? If you ask me, we have been walking deeper into the forest, wouldn't there have been a clearing?"

"You are right there would have been a clearing." Michael suddenly stopped short, "But-", he picked up a wooden board from among the bushes, pulled away some climbers.
" But, they have all been overgrown."

The board read 'Site no:3'

"I'm sorry Sandra, it looks like its been quite a while since somebody came here. No one has been trekking."

"Then Amy. Where could she have gone?"

Michael shrugged his shoulders.