Chapter Two

I learned her name. She's happy. A type of happy that makes my heart ache. A type of happy I desire... a happy I've never had. Her name is Lauren.

•••

"I moved here from Florida," Lauren tells me. I smile on the inside, getting my hopes up again on someone who will most likely let me down.

"Why would you leave Florida?" I ask. Her family must be stupid. Just kidding, but seriously. "I guess California's pretty amazing, though."

Lauren giggles, "Yeah, I know right. It was nice there but Johnny wants to sing and California just seems so fun. Bright and sunny all the time, and it's like a party. I've been on tons of vacations here," she explains.

"Johnny?" I question. Who's that?

"Oh, Johnny is my brother!" Lauren replies. I nod and hope Johnny's not another stupid high school boy. Lauren asks if she can have some water, and I show her the cups.

Lauren sits down and we sit in silence. Eventually, probably in a desperate attempt to end the uncomfortable situation where no words are exchanged, she notices blood on my finger and asks if I'm okay. I give a blunt 'yes' and we sit in silence once more.

*Johnny's POV*

Lauren went to the neighbor's house. She said she saw a girl walk in and Lauren's goal is to end the year with a friend. Girls are weird.

"Honey!" I hear mom call. We moved in two days ago, and mom has needed help unboxing lately.  I run down the stairs and into the kitchen, where mom is standing at the counter with several boxes.

"Hmm?" I reply. She sighs and motions to the clutter everywhere,

"I don't know what to do at this point. There is so many boxes and clutter and stuff all around the house."

"Sorry. Want help?" I question. Mom looks at me with a warm smile and bright eyes,

"You are a sweet boy, Johnny. Thank you," she pulls me into a hug and I smile awkwardly.

"You're welcome," I say. "So, do you need help?"

Mom shakes her head. "Just reassurance!"

"Okay, I'm gonna go check on Lauren. Nothing else to do," I inform her. She nods and gets back to unpacking.

*Mackenzie's POV again*

A knock on the door. More peppy neighbors? Yay. I get up and leave Lauren sitting at the empty kitchen table.

"Hi," the boy standing outside the door greets me kindly. His eyes are warm and he looks as though he's shocked and something's taken his breath away.

"Hi?" I reply, finding his expression odd. "Are you Johnny, by any chance?"

He nods and sticks his hands in his pockets, "How did you know that?"

I smirk. "Lauren is in my kitchen," I say calmly. He chuckles.

"Did she tell you every possibly-bad thing about me?" he smiles. I shake my head and smile bright

"No. You like to sing," I start, "you moved here to sing." I step aside and speak again, "come inside."

Johnny comes through the door and shuts it. We take our seats at the table and get to know each other. I'm not used to trying in relationships. I'm definitely not used to caring, or telling anyone everything. I'm not used to liking it.

•••
Quick Author's Note: I know the previous part of the chapter had A TON of dialogue, but I needed to form a relationship between Makenzie, Lauren and Johnny. Also, let me know if you like the POV switching ;)

•••
*STILL MACKENZIE'S POV*

Johnny and Lauren have gone home and now I have to think. I have to find a way to get Johnny off my mind and I don't know if I can be Lauren's friend. I don't know how to do that.

I put the razor away and climb into my bed. I finish my bowl of cereal and then off my show. Burrowing deep into my covers, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

•••
This might seem short, but it's late at night and I need to sleep! I'll be posting every day, or I'll try, and feel free to suggest/ask/comment anything! Happy reading loves <3