Chapter Three

Ages ;)
Johnny: 17
Mackenzie: 16
Lauren: 16
Maddie: 20

*Mackenzie's POV*

My phone alarm went off. I hit snooze over and over again and then I finally turned it off. But instead of turning it off and getting up, I turned it off and went back to bed.

•••

Someone's knocking on my door. I jerk out of my sleep and sit up. I never woke up! I yank the sheets off my body and run down the stairs. The light flooding in the house is blinding. I forgot I never got up for school. Oops. I open the door and see Lauren standing on my porch.

"Hey," she says as she steps inside and sits down at my kitchen table.

"Hi," I reply, smiling on the inside. I think I made a real friend.

"I start school tomorrow," Lauren frowns. I roll my eyes,

"Good luck." she gives me a knowing look.

"At least you'll be there!" she reminds me.

"Do you wanna spend the night?" I ask suddenly. Lauren looks at me.

"Sure," she says.

•••One month later•••

*Mackenzie's POV*

Scattered. My books on the tile floor, and my heart scattered in my chest. My worth thrown on the ground and smashed to pieces. Zach and his friends laugh and start to walk away. They knocked into me, forced the books out of my clutched arms. And worst of all, he grabbed my butt. No.

"I know what you're trying to do. You're trying to ruin me, and when it's done you're gonna laugh in my face and make me struggle to pick up the pieces? You're gonna break my legs and force me to get up and walk, when I have no one!" I yell at their turned backs. Zach and his best friend Adam turn around and their smiles fade. They start to walk towards me.

"Don't get near me. Don't touch me. You invaded me, and you don't get to touch me! Get away from me!" I scream at them. Then I gather my books off the floor and run to the bathroom around the corner.

•••

I slit my wrists. I throw my head back against the wall of the bathroom. Tears tumble down my cheeks. And then someone walks into the bathroom, except this time I'm too tired to try and hide it. Too tired to try and hide my arm. To hide anything.

It's Johnny. And I start sobbing. I'm curled in a ball and I'm a mess. Johnny doesn't freak out or get mad at me or walk away. He sits on the floor and pulls me into him. He wipes the blood off my wrist with his shirt and kisses the top of my forehead.

"There's blood on your shirt. Why are you doing this?" I mutter, still soaking his shirt with mascara-stained tears.

"I don't care, and because you need me to," he replies softly. His voice is soothing. And I almost fall asleep on the bathroom floor in his arms.

As I'm drifting to sleep, I realize I want to do something. And as I'm deciding to do this, Johnny wants to do the same thing. We both lean in and press our lips together. It's the sweetest kiss I've ever experienced, and his kisses are so soft and gentle. And then I fell asleep in his arms.

*Lauren's POV*

Johnny walks into the girl's bathroom. I swear he's not a perv. Why did he just go into the girl's bathroom? Maybe I should go see.

"Lauren, where are you supposed to be?" my algebra teacher lectures me. I turn to her and give her an apology and then shuffle down the hall. I have Spanish this period, and we have a test. This is gonna be loads of fun.

•••

I feel I did pretty well. The test was only 11 questions long. I'm gonna go back to the restroom and see if Johnny is still in there.

I turn the corner and can't believe my eyes. Johnny is propped up against the wall on the floor, and Mackenzie is asleep on his chest. His head is resting on top of hers and he's asleep as well.

"Johnny," I whispered, shaking him slightly. He lifts his head groggily and stares at me. He looks down at Mackenzie and back up.

"She was sad," he explains. I nod and purse my lips.

"I can take it from here?" I offer in a soft voice. He shakes his head,

"I got it." I walk out of the bathroom and smile uncontrollably.