Chapter Nineteen

Don't forget, smile and be happy! ;)

•••

I make my way to the teacher's desk, which is pretty organized surprisingly, and force myself to look Mrs. P in the eyes.

"Mackenzie, I love you as a student. You're an extraordinary, hard-working scholar and I pride you on it, but lately your interest seems to be declining. That concerns me, so I just wanted to let you know that I look forward to seeing you in class and receiving your projects and assignments because you are so enthusiastic and lovely and you take part in class! Don't let that fade away, it's important! That part of your personality isn't something teachers see often, but we love it! Whatever is on your mind, forget it in class, dear!" I don't even have time to think about it, or respond, before she's shooing me out of the door. Fine by me, I have somewhere to be in four minutes!

The grassy area covered in wooden picnic tables is nearly empty. I spot Hailey's long, red hair and light complexion easily, jogging to her. She turns around before I even say anything, making me jerk. It startled me.

"You're here," smirks Hailey as she places a hand sassily on her hip. Two guys are sitting atop a table and she pops out her butt, putting on a show. I roll my eyes in disgust.

"Hmm, what's the matter with you?" she wrinkles her nose as she sees my annoyed expression.

"You. You're just very easy to despise. I'm here, and you promised me two things; if I showed up you would tell me every last thing, and leave my friends and I alone. Yes, Hailey, that does include Johnny, whom you seem to take interest in easily!" I practically spit in her face.

"Yes, I did, Mackenzie! Now are you going to shut up so I can explain or stand there like a blubbering cow? No one cares what you have to say, so you're just embarrassing yourself!" fires back Hailey.

"Whatever, lets just get this over with," I murmur. Hailey looks the the side and then back at me, an intense look in her eyes.

"Two amazing years before I moved here, and one year before Johnny followed, we lived in the same state and city, and the same neighborhood. Went to the same school, same group of friends.

"Well, being around each other that often obviously led to flirting. Then dates," she moves her face closer after she says dates.

"And then trips together, and then a dance. And the night of that dance, it was magical. We made love, in the woods behind my house under the stars!" Hailey is about two inches from
my face now, I feel her hot breath when she speaks. I step back.

Johnny wouldn't do that! He would never lose his virginity to some mean, cliche, sneaky high schooler.

"Stop! I meant tell me the whole truth!" I yell at her. My head is throbbing.

"Oh Mackenzie, young Mackenzie. That is the truth! How many times will I have to spell it out for you? WE HAD SEX, and Johnny was not the same back then!" she screams back.

I swallow and open my mouth to say something. My breath is shaky.

"No, Hailey. He was never that type of person. The amazing, good, sweet person Johnny is would never be the kind of guy to be with you!" I scream. A tear forms in my eye but I blink it back.

Soon, we're just yelling at each other over a guy I know better than she ever will. I'm just going to walk away, and talk to Johnny. And my friends. And get away from her in whatever way possible.

•••30 minutes later•••

"John?" I call out. The locker room is deserted and one of the guys on his team told me he's in here. He said "there's no other people in there but him so you should be fine." so now I'm walking into the boys locker room, hesitantly of course!

Did he assume we've slept together? I hope not.. we haven't!

I hear a grunt and a locker slams shut. I bite my lip nervously and continue. I turn a corner and face some rows of tons of lockers.

"Johnny, babe?" I call out again. No reply, this is so weird.

"You told her?!" I hear a muffled voice, and it's kind of deep. It's filled with panic and worry.

"Yes, Johnny," a girl's voice replies. I hear his name and recognize her voice, instantly realizing what's going on. I stop dead in my tracks, a deer in headlights.

I take a deep breath and angrily walk down the rows of dark blue lockers, finding the two at the end of one of the last rows.

"What are you guys doing?" I swallow and then let my mouth hang open.

"Oh God. Mackenzie, whatever she told you, I'm sure she twisted it. It's probably completely different!" my boyfriend turns to me and stutters.

I blink. "John, I was going to give you a chance to explain. To give me your side of the story because I trust you more. I was going to be calm and I was ready to hear you out but then I find this?!" my sadness builds up. I'm trying to be mad, but I'm more hurt than I am angry. Just sick of it all, to be honest.

A tear falls down my cheek and I am quick to wipe it away and and sniffle.

"I was just trying to come find you and talk to you, be mature about it because someone has to!" I'm actually crying at this point.

Hailey looks completely content in the situation. All of this was a plan for me to end up crying, in a locker room, standing before my boyfriend and his supposed (need I add manipulative) ex.

This year was great and it turned out to have a tragic ending. Did I waste my time on him? It seems like ever since my short coma, he's been acting different. It's like the accident brought out the worst in him and all his secrets spilled!

"Get out, Hailey," orders Johnny suddenly, pointing to the near door. Hailey scoffs,

"I thought you wanted me here!"

"I did, to talk. To make sure you weren't telling lies. You can leave now!" he yells, still gesturing to the door.

The redhead beauty rolls her eyes and sticks her hand on her hip.

"You're making a mistake," I hear her whisper to him. "And you! You're not Johnny's first love. I was, and am. He will never love you like he loved me!" and with that last, cold statement the locker room only held John and I.

I wipe the tears from my cheeks and sit on the edge of the bench in front of me.

"Mack," he tries to comfort me. His words don't feel like home right now, and that's scary. They always have, and suddenly they don't. It gives me that feeling I always used to feel when I would say or do one wrong thing and everything blew up. This time, though, it wasn't me.

I just wish Hailey hadn't come in and ruined everything. Then again, I need to know what really happened.

"No more secrets, or lies. No more pretending. We weren't okay after I saw what happened between you and Annie, and then we kissed and made up and we were okay.

"But all of this happened and it was the perfect situation for a huge miscommunication, and everything blew up!" I cry, literally. Tears are running down my face as fast as shooting stars and I can't wipe them away. I will myself not to break down and cry and yell and hate everything for what happened but I'm not strong enough to stop this time.

This time, I'm not strong at all.

•••

A/N: thoughts? :) comment what you think will happen!