Chapter Five

Saturday. It's Saturday and I have absolutely nothing to do. In most circumstances that would be great, but it's not today. I want to be with Johnny and Lauren today.

"Hello?" Lauren answers the phone.

"Hey, I wanted to call you to see what you and Johnny are doing today," I explain.

"Johnny!" she yells, "what are you doing today?" I can't hear his answer. "Nothing, neither of us." she gives me the final answer.

"Okay I'm coming over," I tell her. Lauren gives me a blunt okay and I leave my house.

Lauren and Johnny live literally right next door so I cross yards and ring her doorbell.

"Hey Mack," Johnny opens the door. I smile and walk in.

"Hi John," I reply. He calls for Lauren to come downstairs and she gives me a hug.

"So, what should we do?" Lauren asks. We're all sitting on her couch.

"We could go to the beach?" I suggest. Lauren gets wide eyes and smiles.

"I'm up for whatever," Johnny comments. I shrug.

"So the beach?" Lauren asks happily. Johnny and I nod and we get ready to leave.

•••

*Lauren's POV*

I love the beach, I'm so excited! I think Mack and Johnny are starting to like each other. I've always wanted them together.

Mackenzie went home to pack a beach bag, and Johnny's a typical teenage boy; he doesn't need anything but his phone, his hat and his keys.

I throw my sunscreen and tan lotion in the bag, along with sunglasses. I bring my bag to the kitchen and pack three towels, and then stuff snacks and drinks in there. Perfect.

"Ready?" Mack calls from the hall by the front door. I make my way to the living room and smile at her.

"All ready," I reply. Johnny comes down the stairs.

"We can take my Jeep," he offers. We pile in his Jeep Wrangler, and I sit in the back, giving them the chance to talk.

I pull out my phone and text Johnny,

"Just ask her out already!" I hear Johnny's phone buzz and he doesn't look at it. Ugh, Johnny! He probably didn't look at it because Mackenzie's talking to him.

*Mackenzie's POV*

Johnny and I are sitting in the front and Lauren wanted to sit in the back. She's been acting weird lately. Not a bad weird, just different.

"So how are things at school lately? With Zach and his friends and all?" Johnny asks. I shrug with a defeated look on my face.

"The same. It doesn't matter," I mutter. Johnny looks at me.

"It does matter," he argues. I smile at him and look out the window.

We arrive at the beach and get out of the gray Jeep. I run to the warm sand and kick off my shoes. The sand on my feet feels so good!

Lauren lays down three beach towels for us and sets her bag down. Then she throws her tank top and denim shorts in the sand. Before I can say "beach" she's in the water, leaving just Johnny and I standing in the sand.

"Do you wanna go swim with me?" Johnny asks, speaking in a deep voice and holding out his hand. I laugh and take his hand.

"I would love to," I accept. I hold up my pointer finger. "I must take my clothes off first." Johnny tries to contain himself but then he bursts out laughing.

"Shut up," I joke, rolling my eyes. I pull off my denim shorts and tank top and then I turn to Johnny.

"Ready?" I ask. He nods and he grabs my hand. I get butterflies in my stomach. Johnny and I have been flirting and stuff, but we're not official. At least I think he's flirting.

We start running but halfway there Johnny stops and pulls me back into his chest. I giggle and give him a confused look. He grabs my legs and picks me up bridal-style. I throw my head back and laugh lightheartedly.

He runs into the water and splashes around, causing water to fly up and splash me. I hit him in the chest jokingly and he goes even further into the ocean. When the water is up to his thighs, he drops me. I scream and splash him as hard as I can. He laughs like it's no big deal.

"I hate you Johnny," I yell as I start to push him. He grabs my wrists and holds them.

"You don't hate me," he murmurs softly. He looks into my eyes. He needs to stop before I can't control myself. I'm starting to really like him, and I've never had that happen.

He leans forward and I lean forward too. Just when we're about to kiss I push him as hard as I can and he falls back into the water, totally not expecting it. I laugh so hard I can barely stand.

He emerges from under the water and laughs. "I'm weak," I cry out. He laughs again and then he grabs me and spins me around in the water. Then, he pushes me gently under water.

"You, Johnny Orlando, are trouble," I smile when I pop out of the water. He smiles and chuckles. Suddenly, his lips are pressed against mine.

I kiss him back and wrap my arms around his neck. He hugs my waist and when we finally pull apart, my breath is gone. He took it away. And I don't care,