Chapter Twelve

Happy reading babes! :)

🌸

*Maddie's POV*

Mom hugs me as I sob, staring out the window at the pouring rain. It matches my mood. Sitting at the windowsill and crying reminds me of when Mackenzie used to cry, especially if we were arguing, and she didn't want anyone to know. She would look out the window and tears would roll down her cheeks silently, but I always knew what she was doing. I always knew when my sister was upset.

We hear feet shuffling behind us and we both turn around. The surgeon, Dr. Emick, is standing in the doorway. His surgical mask is pulled down and he looks calm.

"Mrs. Gisoni, Miss Ziegler, Mackenzie is out and stable," he tells us, and my mom starts bawling happy tears.

I cover my mouth as a muffled sob escapes and I wait for the doctor to finish.

"Mackenzie has pulled through and the swelling has gone down dramatically. We predict she will be awake by the end of this week, at the latest. We're thinking she may be awake by tomorrow or Thursday," he smiles. I turn to Mom to see her sniffling and smiling so big. I hug her and then get up and hug the doctor without thinking.

"Dr. Emick, I can't thank you enough!" I cry, pulling away quickly. My mother hugs him too and he leaves us to talk.

•••

"Mack's out of surgery and should be awake by the end of the week. The doctor told us that the swelling has gone down dramatically," I inform Johnny, Lauren and his mother. Johnny smiles brightly and Lauren stars crying. I give her a big hug and then I eye Johnny. He nods and I hug him too and we both laugh.

"When can we see her?" Lauren asks. I smile.

"Any time, though she might not be awake for a few days," I reply. Lauren nods and they show me to the door.

"Thank you," Lauren unlocks the door and swings it open.

"Yeah, thanks," Johnny agrees. I smile and wave it away, stepping outside.

*Lauren's POV*

This is amazing! Mackenzie's gonna be okay!

"I can't wait to visit her! I'm going tomorrow," I tell Johnny and I shut the door. He nods.

"I'll go with," he offers. We climb the stairs and he follows me into my room. I sit in my desk chair and he flops on the bed, causing me to roll my eyes.

"So you've been hanging out with a girl named Annie at school, right?" Johnny asks. I nod suspiciously and he chuckles.

"Just curious," he comments, "does she know Kenzie?" I shrug.

"Maybe," I start, "they might've met. Besides, the school knows about Mack so everyone knows of her."

Johnny nods and I smile. I hope Mack wakes up soon.

•••

*Johnny's POV*

"She's right in here," the nurse leads us to the door and walks away again. I smile at her and we walk in the room. I sit on Mack's bed and lay down next to her gently, cradling her in my arms. Lauren hugs her and starts talking to
her in a voice barely above a whisper,

"I heard they can hear you," she had told me on the way here.

"We're here for you, Mackenzie," Lauren whispers to her.

"Wake up soon, Kenzie," I kiss her forehead.

A/N: Sorry guys, I know it was short! I have big plans for this story!