Chapter Eight

"Hahahahah!" Lauren laughs as we sing into pretend microphones and looked each other in the eye.

"ROADTRIP!" I yell out the window as we speed down the deserted highway. I turn to Johnny,

"Where exactly are we going?" Johnny smiles at me,

"North Carolina." I knit my brows.

"Okay, but why there?" I ask. He shrugs.

"It's far away," he tells me, grinning. I smirk at him and he turns the radio up.

"I've been wanting to go on a road trip for a long time," Johnny says calmly, "ever since I got the new Jeep."

Johnny got a silver Jeep Wrangler a week ago, and he's been eager to go on a trip in it.

"Well now we are!" Lauren shouts happily. We throw our hands into the air because the top is down. Johnny looks at me and puts his hand on my thigh. I look down at it and then back at him. I start to move it off my leg, but then I put my hand on his cheek and kiss him. He can leave it there.

•••
*Arizona*

We got to Arizona this morning, and now it's mid afternoon. I've snapped several photos of the beautiful state and posted them. Mom called to check on us, we're fine.

Johnny curled up and fell asleep in the backseat when we switched turns driving. He fought the sleep, but it overcame him. He's so cute when he's sleeping.

Lauren sat in the front seat and I'm driving. We turned the music down so he could sleep without being woken up.

"How are you and-" Lauren starts to ask. I cover her mouth with one hand.

"We've been in the same car for three and a half days." I state, taking my hand away. She frowns. "You know we're good," I add.

"I ask anyway," she sighs. I smile at her and change the song, getting bored of the sad songs.

"I want upbeat!" I cheer in a hushed voice. Lauren agrees with me and decides to pick a song.

"Weak," she settles for a song. I laugh and speed up a little, the wind blowing our hair.

"BUT I'M WEAK, AND WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?!" we sing at the top of our lungs, no doubt waking my boyfriend up.

"You're so loud," he complains, sitting up. Lauren and I mutter,

"Sorry," at the same time. After a few minutes, I feel Johnny lean up and kiss me softly on the cheek and then on the neck. I give him a wild look.

"Johnny," I giggle. He smiles and asks Lauren to trade spots.

"Fine, pull over!" she agrees. I pull swiftly to the side of the road and the two switch spots. Happy to have Johnny in the front with me, I pick another happy song and start driving again.

"Sorry we woke you up, John," I give him a puppy-dog-eye face. He laughs his cute, charming laugh.

"I don't care Mack," he waves it away before planting a passionate kiss on my lips. This is gonna be fun.

The hotel we pulled up to and checked in at is nice. We stopped in a lit-up town and turned in for the night. I'm so exhausted.

"Sharing a bed?" Lauren eyes us with dirty eyes. I roll my wide eyes and turn her around and push her down the hallway.

"Not yet, Lauren. Sorry Mrs. McNosy," I scoff playfully. She turns around and flipped her hair.

Johnny was getting coffee and he caught up to us in the room. I'm sharing a bed with Lauren because.. you know. I'm gonna lay with him until "bed time" though.

"TV?" Johnny asks me. I nod, flicking him in the head. Lauren left.

"Johnny, is that a question?" he shakes his head and holds his arms out for a hug. I start to give him one and he pushes me down on the bed instead, then dabs.

"Idiot," I had yell at him jokingly. He pouts and pretends to cry.

"I sowwy Mack, can I have a real hug?" I give him a cross look and shake my head dramatically. He jumps on the bed next to me and kisses me sweetly on the mouth. I kiss him back and he wraps his arms around my waist. I run my fingers through his hair and climb on top of him. We continue to kiss, taking advantage of Lauren's absence. She went down the street to get food.

I pull away. "Not yet," I murmur, looking into his soft eyes.

"Okay," he replies nicely, not forcing me into anything.

"Okay," I repeat.

I climb off his lap and lay on the bed next to him as he looks for something to watch. He settles on a show I've never watched and I unexpectedly fall into a deep sleep.