Chapter-17

It was mid May, and everybody seemed to be doing much better. Ron and Hermione were still upset with the whole thing but, as much as they loved Harry, they had to move on. Ginny was trying to do the same, but it was a bit harder for her. She was trying to be strong, like Ron told her to, but every night she’d cry herself to sleep. Schoolwork was helping her take her mind off things, so she ended up studying in the library quite often. One afternoon, as she sat in the library with her nose in a book, Dean Thomas walked over to her.

“Hey Ginny,” Dean said. “May I take a seat please?” Without looking up from her book, she nodded, and he sat down. “What are you reading?” he asked, and she showed him the cover of the book. “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them? That’s a pretty interesting book. Are you reading it for a class?”

“No,” she said. “It just interests me. I’ve always liked that class. Kind of fascinating, really, don’t you think?”

“Yeah… yeah sure,” he responded. “Listen, Ginny, I was hoping I could talk to you in private, and it seems like I’ve found my perfect chance.”

“Then talk, Dean,” she said, getting a little annoyed.

“I was just wondering… you know… I was about to ask you out again that day you and Potter got together,” he said, and she just looked up at him. “Well… now… you know, since Potter’s gone, I was just wondering if you wanted to get together again?”

She just looked at him, and then, out of nowhere, starting laughing. It was so funny. He thought that with Harry gone, he could take his big chance. Well, Ginny had two words for him.

“No thanks,” and she continued with her reading.

“No thanks?” he asked. “Why? I don’t understand why you’re acting this way? Someone asks you out for the first time in months, and you turn them down flat! Merlin, Ginny, what do you want?!”

Now, instead of laughing, she was glaring. “You know, Dean, unlike Cho Chang, I don’t just bounce up that fast. I’m still mourning, and if you’re too stupid to see that, then I have nothing else to say to you.”

“Mourning who?!” he yelled. “A boy who supposedly loved you, but still went out to fight, is that who you’re mourning? Come on, Ginny! He couldn’t have loved you that much, because he left you. He left you, and then went and got himself killed. How could you mourn someone that put revenge over love? That’s just stupid!”

She was getting angrier and angrier as the moments went by. He didn’t know the whole story. He didn’t know about the prophecy, or about the locket he gave her before he left. She was about to inform him.

“You know what, Dean?” she said. “Before Harry left, he gave me a locket. This locket, the one that sits on my neck, says ‘Always and forever’. Do you have any idea how much that meant to me? And you don’t know the whole story, so how dare you say that about him?”

“You haven’t answered my question, Ginny,” he said. “What do you want?”

“Well, definitely not you, that’s for sure!” she said, and he got up really fast.

“Fine!” he yelled. “I don’t know why I even tried, anyway! You probably don’t have a heart to love anyone. Merlin, I heard you helped Harry leave the house! Couldn’t have loved him that much, could you?!”

Quick as lightning, Ginny stood up, pulled out her wand, and used her famous bat bogey hex on him. While he tried to dodge all the bogey’s, she screamed, “Don’t you ever say I didn’t love him! I loved him more than you can possible imagine, Dean Thomas, and nobody can take his place! I’m finished with you, why don’t you just go outside and wait for the carriages to hit you!”

Scowling and in pain, he ran out of the library. Ginny was very angry now, and since there was no way she’d be able to concentrate on her book, she stuffed it in her bag and headed up to the common room, where she was greeted by Ron and Hermione.

“Hey, Gin?” Ron asked. “You wouldn’t know why Dean just ran up to the boys dormitory screaming, ‘She’s a bloody lunatic’ would you?”

Ginny smiled, and sat down at the table, suddenly in a very good mood.

*~*~*~*

The end of May was approaching, and still Harry was following Fawkes. He had no idea where this scarlet feathered bird was taking him, but he knew wherever it was, it was going to be important. There were times, though, when he was close to passing out from exhaustion, but still, he kept going. Finally, after what felt like forever, he realized that he had reached his destination.

“Fawkes,” he asked, “why are we at Hogwarts?” The bird looked at Harry, and then continued his flight inside the castle.

“Whoa, wait!” Harry said, and the bird stopped to look at him. Quickly, Harry put on his invisibility cloak, and then said, “Okay, we can go now!” Fawkes gave a nod of the head, and then continued his flight to the castle. When they reached a point where they couldn’t go any further without someone noticing, Fawkes held out his legs, signaling Harry to hold on. Harry grabbed on, and the bird flew up to the top of the castle, all the way up to a certain window.

They entered the castle through the open window and that’s when Harry realized where they were.

“Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom?” he said, and let go of Fawkes’ feet. That’s when the bird swooped down into the sinks, and disappeared.

“Who’s there?” a voice said, and Harry jumped. A grey figure game floating out of one of the cubicles, and Harry knew instantly that it was Moaning Myrtle. “Who’s there? Show yourself or I will tell the Headmistress!”

Harry knew he had to show himself, because he didn’t want anyone to see him. So, slowly, he took off his cloak. Myrtle gasped as she saw who the person standing in front of her was.

“Harry Potter!” she exclaimed, and swooped down to see him. “Oh, Harry, it’s so nice to see you again. Where have you been, everybody thinks you’re dead!”

“They what!” he said, as she got a sad look on her face.

“Yes, well… too bad really; you would’ve made a very nice ghost.”

“They think I’m dead?” he said. “Why?”

“I’m not sure really, but they had a mourning feast and everything,” she replied. “Everybody’s going to be so happy to hear that you’re alive again.” At those words she started to cry. “I was hoping that you would come and share my toilet, but now you’re alive, and now you’ll never stay to keep me company.” That’s when she did what she does best: she moaned.

“Myrtle, shh!” he said. “Nobody can know I’m here. If they find out, I’ll be taken away, and I’ll never finish anything.” The moaning stopped and she just looked at him.

“Why don’t you want anyone to know you’re alive?” she asked. “Shouldn’t you be happy to be here again?”

“Listen, Myrtle,” he began, “if you don’t say anything, and if you keep quiet, then I’ll come and keep you company a lot more often.” A slow smile spread across her face, and he smiled as well, knowing he’d just said the perfect thing.

“Mum’s the word,” she said, and he smiled.

“Thanks, Myrtle,” he replied, and looked over to the sinks. “Now let’s see. Fawkes just flew down into the pipes, so that can only mean one thing.”

“What?” Myrtle asked, and Harry walked over to the sink that he needed.

In his parseltongue voice, he said, “Open up!” Quick as lightning, the sinks separated, and left a big hole in the middle of the bathroom. He walked over to the hole, and looked at Myrtle. “Cheers,” he said, and jumped into the hole.

Little did he know that a certain Poltergeist was watching him the whole time, and was very excited about causing all the trouble he knew he was about to cause.