Twelve Months Earlier:

"Hey Halie, wait up."
I move towards the wall of the school and turn around, adjusting to my new name well.

"Oh, hey James. Whats up?"

"Just the sky." He said grabbing my hand and tugging me along the corridor intill we stop at his locker at the end of the hall.

"Look," James started, letting go of me and looking around. 'He wants to talk about what happened last night..' i thought, dread waying down on me. 'I dont want to leave again. I just started feeling normal at this school.'

"So, last night-" I cut him off before he could go on.

"You're being stupid James. I know what you're thinking and its insane. Idk why the lights broke but it has nothing to do with me getting mad last night. It was a coincidence okay?"

'Believe me.' i willed, staring at him hard and hoping. His face twisted once into a look of confusion before settling at a small smile.

"Yeah, your right Halie. Sorry. I know that was even insane to think."

But in reality, it was me.

I had lost control last night. I just couldn't believe the disgustingness of the behavior of men when James's little brother, Connor, started putting his hands all over me, dispite many attempts at getting him off.

I could see his mind that night, he had wanted to hurt me. And i had gotten  angry and scared, causing  all the lightbulbs in the room to shatter.

Granted i didnt do it on purpose. But the things i could do are unnatural, and if your unnatural people talk, and if people talk.. The monsters come. And i couldnt have that happening, i didn't want to have to leave again.

For as long as i could remember i had been running from the monsters that hide behind faces. I was five when i saw the first one. I had thrown a tantrum because Sally Sue stole my blocks from me in kindergarden and accidentally caught the room on fire.

That was the day the talk began, and not long after i started seeing monsters behind regular faces. The faces of my neighbors became the faces of my enemies. No where was safe, they got into my school, my parents friends, they could be anyone and i was the only one who could see them. That is, intill their eyes flashed black.

My parents had prayed to god for savior and stole me away from my friends and took me somewhere else far away.

We had been running ever since. I had learned to put the things i could do under check and sometimes use them at will. I could do things to destory, but i could also do things to heal.

That what was hardest, seeing all the suffering of everyday people people when i knew i could help. I could heal their bones, their minds, their hearts. But i could do nothing without attracting the monsters.

And now i am here, Normal, Illinois, attending the high school and acting like everything is fine. Like everything was.. normal.

Sighing in relief, and laughing to myself,  i grab James's wrist and drag him back into the corridor, "Come on. We are going to be late for class." 

And, if right on schedule, the bell chimed out above us signaling the start of first period.

Frowning, i let go of James and walk faster. 'I hate being late..'

578 Words.