'Azalea?'

I heard, whispered in my ear.

'Azalea? Can you hear me? My name is Castiel. I am a friend. I meam no harm to you. Please, come to me before your eighteenth birthday and i will protect you. My brothers are angry, they do not think you deserve a chance. I have learned that you do. Pray to me and i will come and bring you somewhere safe. Me and my friends will protect you.'

I pulled over on the road and looked out my window and into the forest.

"I have questions Castiel. Will you answer them?" i spoke, not sure how this whole praying to him works.

I waited.. but heard nothing in return. I sighed and shut off the engine, leaning back in my seat. 

' I am tired Castiel. So very tired of running. But if i stop.. People will die. They made me kill my parents. The monsters. Theirs nothing i couldve done. They attacked me.. Please, help me.'

And still, nothing happened.

I closed my eyes and fell fast asleep. 'Eighteen it is then. See you then.'

__________________________

When i woke up the next day my windows were misted over and it was cold. I sighed and opened up the door to stretch. Dew littered over every leaf and every blade of grass, and the morning sun rose up turning the sky a dusty pink.

'Its going to storm probably.'
I yawned once, finished stretching, and got back into the car and started up the engine to drive.

'I think Im gonna head north, the Dakota sounds good. Its well away from this place and hopefully it will take them more then a few months to find me there. Id assume, theyd assume, i would drive much further on. Any sain person would.'

I laughed at my thoughts and began down the road.
'No road trip is done without coffee and jazz.' So i snapped my fingers once and a steaming cup of cofee appeared in my hand. I sipped absent mindedly and looked at the old road signs scattered ahead of me every other 20 miles. 'I have a long way to go. Time for the tunes.' I reached over to the dash and turned on the radio, switching from Christian hymns to Classical Rock.

Smiling to myself i sing along.

"It's all the same, only the names will change

Everyday it seems we're wasting away

Another place where the faces are so cold

I'd drive all night just to get back home.."

I thought of how many different faces I've seen, all guarded against the new girl in town. I thought if how many names and looks I've been forced to take. I remember the feeling the lonelyness seeping in with each one. I remember how everytime though, i had one place to call home, Sioux Falls. I havent been bacl there since i was thirteen, but it was the only place i really ever felt safe. Their was just something about it.. I sighed and contunied singing,

"I've been everywhere, and still I'm standing tall

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all

Cause I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride

I'm wanted dead or alive

Cause I'm a cowboy, I got the night on my side

I'm wanted dead or alive

And I ride dead or alive

I still drive, dead or alive
Dead or alive.."

I strum out the beat on the hard steering wheel and close the song with a loud laugh.

I've always loved this song because it resembles me in a way.

Because ive been hunted all my life, ive had to move and change and shoulder it all constantly, and i never knew if id make it out alive and all together, dispite my adoptived parents, it was a very lonely life. I was too different, and everyone else was the same.

I listened to the next song more peacefully and drank a little more of my coffee.  'How i wish i could make time fly.'

676 Words.