Chapter 9 Confessions Part 2

"I have a confession to make..." He said getting closer.

"Me too." I replied getting closer too.

"You're the only one who knows about my dad and the lighter."- He looks down "-I don't know how to describe what I feel whenever I'm around you. You make me feel safe." His blue eyes met with mine.

"Me too..." I whispered "What I opened up about last night was very personal and I normally avoid even mentioning her name...We both know what it feels like to lose someone we loved." A tear was threatening to spill but I managed to pull myself together before I embarrass myself.

"Maybe we could discuss about it over a drink or two." He joked. I took that as an opportunity I had wanted since the day I first met him.

"I would love to my captain." My answer got him to look at me faster than you can say "Kong". I laughed like a fool I am.

"YES" A scream of joy came from above. All of us looked up to Slivko dancing and shouting to the radio "We're alive! We're alive!"

A reply was immediately received from the radio "Base 25 do you copy?" Everybody's attention was on Slivko and the radio now.

"Base 25 here! 25 here! We're on a boat! On a river! With some old traveller-well it's more of a plane than boat but we're floating!"

I smile as I see a flare being shot in the air. Help was coming and I relived to be alive. Everybody's laughing now which is good, even that piece of work scientist Victor.

Soon the laughter died down into quietness, peaceful quietness.

"Hank who's that?" I ask. A crumpled up photo was sticking out of Hank's pocket.

He seemed to know what I was talking about before looking at where-or whom I was pointing at by his saddened expression.

He began telling about his wife and how they met until their separation. It was heartbreaking to hear that he had crashed only a day after he was told his son was born. So many years apart but still so in love can do such things to a man.

"You'd be surprised with how long people wait Hank." Conrad said patting him softly in the back.

I looked down then gathered my crutches and went at the edge of the boat. We were going to be rescued in a while, I didn't want to be sad when that happens. So instead I took pictures. This island, no matter how deadly is still so beautiful to one's sight.

"The most dangerous places are the most beautiful."

I blushed. His voice rang in my mind and it's true. The scenery was only a mere distraction to lure you in so that the island could eat you.

"I know you don't like me and frankly I don't like any of you either." A voice shook me out of my thoughts and almost out of the boat. And that voiced belonged to the one and only know-it-all Victor. "I think we can all agree that we're panicking deep within. We just cope with it in different ways. Some rely on people whom we have to get back home to,-" he motioned to hank still staring the picture of his wife, "-defensive ones who are ready to kill for survival,-" he motioned to Slivko "- practicing his combat skills ,"-beautiful distractions,-" he motioned to Mason taking pictures of the island, "-human support,-" he motioned to San and Houston, Conrad and I "-then assholes." He motioned to himself. "I'm sorry....for being an asshole to everyone."

A smile crept unto my lips and I put the camera down. "Thank you. Allow me to officially introduce myself, I'm Eden Wea-" I didn't get to finish that sentence since I was roughly pushed down to the ground braking my crutches and injuring my already injured ankle in the process.

My screams of pain blocked the gun shots and screams from my ears and eyes shut tight because of it. A body was on me, not limp a pair of hands covered me from something. It was Conrad, I finally checked. He looked at me in worry checking if I had any more scratches or injury. Victor was no longer beside me but was above being eaten by flying demons. My stomach dropped as his speech sank to my head. He didn't deserve this, no one did.

"Can you hear me?!" I read Conrad's lips, I couldn't hear anything but my own scream. I began hyperventilating, breathing was much more difficult and I struggled to keep my loud drum of a heart down. Conrad shook my shoulders begging me to respond.

I pass out.