Chapter 11 Good Decisions, Bad Decisions

"We have to get out of here." Hank says. It was true and we all knew it-except for Packard of course. He was too busy in his war freak mind. "We can't go west."

"CHAPMAN IS STILL THERE!" Packard yelled and pointed at Hank.

"Chapman is dead." Conrad held up his bloody dog tag looking down.

My mouth slightly parts. I did bot known him personally but hearing Slivko's and the other soilder's words he was a good man and was a good father.

It was silent. Too silent for Packard's taste that he said "We still need to head west!"

"Obviously you wanted to go not because of Chapman but of a thing. What is it?" I question. It was fishy that Packard, a man of big ego wanted to help someone else for once but then it clicked. He needed something and tricked us for it.

He gave me a smile, not a comforting one or a even descent one but a sinister one. The one that looks like when the villain was about to tell you what was his true intentions all along and uttered three words that made the group go wild "Explosives.For.Kong." Thus the group was divided in a heated debate. Save Kong or Kong for Dead. You could guess witch group I proudly am.

"You can't kill Kong! He's God around here!" Hank screamed at Packard. Packard just rolled his eyes in annoyance though.

"We're going west."

"Then sorry for this." Hank pulls out his samurai but what thrown to the ground my Packard and his gun.

He pulled the safety and was ready to shoot until I stood in front of the gun "No!"

"Eden!" Maven screamed. James eyes widened and slowly pulled me behind him.

Packard was chuckling the entire time. He had gone mad! He aimed the gun to James next. He replied by raising his hands "I'll take the civilians to the boat....We will wait there and stay out of your way okay?"

Packard stares at him for a few minutes before hesitantly lowering his gun and headed out with all the other soldiers. No! They can't kill Kong.

I run after them but James had gotten a hold of my arm and wrapped his arm around me while his other hand covered my mouth to refrain me from screaming.

"YOU CANT. SKULL CRAWLERS WILL RISE." It was useless. My screams were muffled.

I gave up when James finally let go and Packard was no where to be seen.

I just needed space right now but I couldn't wander now so I stayed at the back silent but broken.

-------------

It had been hours into your hike now and the sun was setting. Each step you took, you glared at the back of James' head. And I bet he sensed it.

"The more you glare, fire might appear on his head." Mason commented beside me.

Since I was still injured and crutches were no longer available Mason was now my support.

"You should take to him."

"And why would I do that?" I sneered.

"Because he did it for everyone's safety, especially yours. Do you think you would survive in a gun battle with Packard who had been to wars for a living?" I kept quiet. She had a point, but I wasn't going to admit that. Yet.

"Ughh" I sighed.

We all hear a roar. Kong's roar. A sick thought came to your mind. Are Packard and his men already fighting with the giant ape?

"I'll go look for a mountain to see which way the river is." James says leaving everyone to rest for a bit. Before he left thought I stopped him "Wait! Let me-" I glanced at Mason who was urging me to go "-help." James looked relieved and offered his hand. I took it expecting him to get my arm to put it around him for support but instead grabbed my arm to go near him and carry me bridal style.

"For speed." He explained. I nodded hiding my blush by burying my face into my hair.

The walk there was awkward. It had been already ten minutes before I gathered up the courage to ask "So why did you do it? Help Packard murder Kong I mean."

He exhales loudly before looking at me and answering "I lost a lot of good people. And I don't want it ever to happen again Eden. Especially not to you. I meant what I said on the boat. You must be real special to know what I had told you about my father."

Great. Now I look like the asshole.

"I'm sorry." I apologize.

"I'm sorry too." He says looking forward this time with a smile on his face.

I look back up and notice a silver chain on James' neck "I almost forgot I gave you this." I said holding my mother's engagement ring.

"Well It's still with me safe and sound. My father's lighter though, I'm glad you put it into good use."

I furrowed my eyebrows "What do you mean?"

"You know. You tossed it into the mouth of the skull crawler earlier today." He flashed me a smile. But his eyes flashed something else....

"James no!" I held up the lighter and laughed "It was a different lighter that I threw. I could never destroy another person's sentimental item. Even if that means killing a 4 ton beast."

"Thank you so much Eden." He laughed pulled me closer. "You have no idea what I had been feeling these past couple of hours." His British accent tickled your ears.

All of a sudden the ground began shaking and rocks fell down from the cliff they were on. A large dark figure emerged in front of them

Kong.

He wasn't bloody or injured so I sighed in relief but not yet. The worse has yet to come.

"Stay behind me." James sat me down but I did the opposite and limped towards it instead. "Eden!" James whispered/yelled my name.

"It's ok." I took a step forward. Kong made a noise and I flinched but didn't retreat"He's ok." I put both of my hands up in surrender and touched Kong's nose petting it a little. His eyes were on mine and despite his demeanor they looked scared. As soon as I placed my hands on him though I cold see him relax.

"Told you Kong's peaceful." I retorted as James stood beside me petting Kong too.

He looked like he was enjoying himself and showed no signs of weary. James was warming up to the idea of Kong the ruler, not the destroyer.

The tranquility among us  three came to an end when  flames came up to the sky and exploded mid air. These weren't fireworks but Packard luring Kong in. Long was no longer pleasant but protective of his land beating his chest with both of his fists like an ape before racing towards Packard and his men.

James and I shared a look before he ordered "We have to save Kong."

He changed his mind! A smile formed on my lips."Aye aye my captain."