Chapter 12 The Battle

Everyone retreated into the forest shouting and praying for their lives to be speared. "AHH" I screamed through the pain of running, I felt like passing out because of my ankle and began limping. A while before this, we had managed to stop Packard do more damaged to Kong. The island's king was laying faced down on the river fire and smoke was on his furry skin. And things turned for the worst the rumbling came from the ground and out arose the biggest monster yet, the big one had awoken. Kong finally regained consciousness and advanced towards the big one before it could step to our direction.

Now here we are literally running for our lives. "Let me carry you-" Conrad reached out to me but I stopped him realising that my cousin was no longer with us. "No! Where is Mason." I turned around finding her still at the scene taking pictures of Kong and the Skull Crawler. "MASON" I screamed. She wasn't listening though so Conrad ran back and dragged her to us. "You could've died!" I shouted getting on Conrad's back before we took off running again.

The sun began rising and sooner or later, San and Houston would leave with the boat. We ran faster until there was no more air in our lungs and we were at the edge of the island. "What now?" I asked.

"You will go to the boat and inform San and Houston that we're still alive." Conrad ordered.

"Then what?"

"You stay put. The rest of us will go back and help Kong." Everyone seemed to agree with the idea and was preparing for battle. Conrad was about to walk away but I stopped him screaming and walking towards that british piece of "SHIT. FROM DAY ONE I'VE BEEN LABELED AS THE DAMSEL AND EVERYONE TREATS ME LIKE IM A CHINA DOLL BUT GUESS WHAT? I DO WHAT I WANT AND I'M FIGHTING."

"You're injured for Christ's sake! YOU COULD BARELY WALK AND EVERY TIME YOU DO, YOU LIMP AND THE N YOU FALL. WHAT IF I'M NOT THERE TO CATCH YOU ANYMORE."

"I could fend for myself Conrad." I hiss back and he just laughs.

"Last name basis now are we Weaver." He comes closer.

"So. What" I poked his chest.

"So what? Is that how much you value your life? 'So what?' What happens then! to everyone you loved, whoever cared about you....to me." His voice went soft.

There was silence for a while. And during that silent moment I looked to the view displaced in front of us. Dawn was here now and the orange light reflected the river. Birds flew left to right, animal noises could be hear everyone and at the edge of the river you could see water buffalos playing with their calfs. You could almost forget what was going on at the other edge with the smoke and muffled roars at the back of us. "It's beautiful...." I said softly this time.

"It is, and so are you Eden." He took my hand and with his other hand, moved my chin to look at his sparkling blue eyes.

"I won't die, I give you my word."

"And how would I know that you are true to your word?"

So I leaned in and kissed him. It was a soft tender kiss, neverthless a kiss I would never forget. His hands were no longer on mine but at the back of my neck and my waist and mine on his neck making sure there was no space between us.

"FINALY" We broke apart seeing Slivko pounding his fist in the air with the others cat calling behind him.

I hid my face from James' chest in embarrassment feeling the heat rush in my cheeks.