5

Part 1:In a Darker Forest
Chapter 4

All three of us spoke at once; Leena was embarrassed and trying to brush away her tears as she said, "How long have you been out there?" while I, not wanting to deal asked, "What the hell are you doing here?" in contrast to both Lentil and I, Jen calmly asked if he wanted a soda.

Conner raised an eyebrow. "I fancied a walk and got lost, heard the sound of you three and came here for directions. I'm not a stalker, don't worry and yeah, a soda would be great."

Jen reached over and grabbed a Sprite. "You give it to him," she hissed.

"What? No!" I hissed back, outraged at being moved about like a pawn in Jen's game of romance. I refused to be set up with every hot guy in Heathers, which she would totally try if I let her. Which is not to say that, if Conner asked me out, I wouldn't say yes.

"Do you really want to cause a scene?" Jen smirked softly, knowing I had no choice.

I shook my head, grabbed the Sprite with excessive force and vaulted over the side of the truck, landing neatly on my feet. "Here," I said thrusting it at him.

"Did I do something to offend you, Avery?" Conner asked, a tad bit coolly.

"What?"

"Did I do something you found offensive?"

"No, why?"

"You just cussed me out."

I laughed. "Where are you from? Because around here, that kinda thing is just a way of saying hi!"

"Oh sorry," he said, sheepishly. "Can one of you show me back?"

"I'll do it!" Leena exclaimed.

"Oh, Leena, that is just like you, trying to help others out! But, darling, you're a mess from all that running! We'll go inside and fix up your make-up, while Avery shows him the way out. She is, after all, already up," Jen said slyly, knowing that Lentil's hands were tied; she couldn't fight the arrangement without revealing her crush. And I couldn't back out without offending him.

"That'd be great!" Conner said cheerfully, seemingly oblivious to the chess game masterfully played by Jen right before his icy blue eyes, "Which way is out?"

"This way," I said, gesturing at the medium-sized path behind our cars. I walked towards it and he followed.

A little ways down, Conner cleared his throat. "Yes?" I asked.

"Thank you for helping me," he said softly, slowing his pace.

"No prob, no prob," I murmured, following suit, "I honestly like helping people."

"I can tell. You've helped me more today than I ever expected to be helped." I blush. "But you don't date much, do you?"