6

Chapter 5

"Remember," Leena had said, "you'll need to follow my car so we can go to my house and get you all pretty."

"And I'm not already pretty?" I teased.

She raised an eyebrow and shrugged. "And Jen'll be cleaning the tree house."

"I ask again, why?"

"Because it's polite to take a girl to her doorstep and for tonight, the tree house is your house."

"Whatever. It's not like he's going inside. I'm not a slut."

"Yo! Vodka!" Lentil called, obviously sense a need for back-up on Avery-assault.

"Yeah?" Jen responded, appearing instantly.

"Back me up on this!"

"Avery, Len-Ten's right."

"Jen, you don't even know what Leena and I are talking about!"

"Chill, Eye Shadow, Leena's right ok?"

I shook my head. "I gotta get to class."

***

"Hey! Avery!" Lora Evans hissed.

"Yeah?" I asked, confused at why she was talking to me. We weren't really friends, although she seemed nice. We didn't have anything in common; she was a perky party girl, I was a carefree girl who didn't go around drinking booze.

"Here," she whispered, covertly passing me a folded piece of paper. I took it.

"Thanks," I mumbled, opening it underneath my desk. It read-

Avery,

You looking forward to tonight?

-Conner

I looked at him, to find him staring back. I nodded slightly, causing him to break into a grin. My hands balled up the paper and put it in bag as I resumed listening to what my Math teacher had to say.

***

"There!" Leena said, finished with choosing my outfit, "Try it out."

I did as she asked, not bothering to leave her room, there was a reason she had clothes that fit me in her closet; the people in our group were as good as family.

"Beautiful!" she exclaimed, leading me to a full-length mirror.

I gasped, "This is perfect! Thank you so much, Black!" I had on a pair of modestly ripped jeans on bottom with a red tank top and a jean jacket on top.

She trilled. "Now for your make-up!"

When Leena finished with me, I looked amazing, flawless. I mean it; Leena has a real future as a personal stylist. Even though she's rather girly, she has a knack for pining down other people's styles and flattering them with said style.

"I trust you can pick out your own shoes?" Leena asked, ever the skeptic, "I don't have any cute ones of yours over here..."

"I'll be fine, Lentil! Thank you so much for all your help!"

"No problem, just have fun. Seriously, you better have fun. He's hot."

"I will. Thanks again for all your help. Bye.'

"Bye!"

***

At 11:45 on the dot, there was a knock on my door. I laughed, realizing I should have been inside, not playing with Oak, my pet deer. Okay, so she's not really my pet, but she's almost always in my yard and she seems to like me. I walked over to the door. "Hey," I said, smiling.

"Hey yourself," he replied, smiling back.

"I should... tell my parents that you're here."

"No need!" My mom chirped.

"Gah! Mom!" I cried.

"You two have fun," my mom said cheerily, very nearly pushing Conner and I towards his car, then rushing inside.

He raised his eyebrows at me and I shrugged.

And we went to the movies.

***

"You'll... Never... Take... Me... Alive!" the zombie groaned.

I cheered. It was an amazing movie. But of course, I've always thought of horror as a branch of the Action and Drama genre, never actually being scared. I had never really felt fear until that night.

Conner helped me up as the credits rolled, leading me to his car. "That was a great movie, thanks for to taking me!" I beamed.

"You aren't scared?" he asked, "I'm worried zombies are going to kill us on the drive to your tree house!"

"I don't scare easy."

He laughed. "I can see that!"

We drove, mainly in a nice silence, as I gave him directions. Finally, I could see the tree house. "Thanks again for taking me. I had a lot of fun," I said, getting out of his car.

"It was nothing," he stated, "but for what it's worth; I had fun too."

Leena was right, I thought, he's walking me to my doorstep. We were right by the ladder when he grabbed my hand.

Then he leaned in and kissed me. I did what any girl would do; I stayed where I was until he pulled away.

})i({
Seems like Avery's getting a little action! Yes, yes, I know, I didn't writing anything about fireworks and shit like that! But, honey, that's not how Avery is! Yeah, I know, I'm a tad bit sorry too. Every girl's a romantic somewhere deep inside, but Avery buries in deep, deeeeeeep inside.