7

Chapter 6
Pain was all I knew. I fell over, and Conner caught me and placed me on the ground gently. My vision because tinted my red at the edges, I saw black spots and everything was glowing. I screamed or I think I did, I couldn't tell. I could hear my heartbeat. Boom boom, boom boom. Everything was blurring and my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton balls. Boom boom, boom boom, boom, boom... boom... boom. I couldn't think, couldn't breathe. I lost all sense of self. I forgot I was me. There was one last 'boom' and everything went black.

I must be dead, I thought, but I can't be because I'm thinking. I pondered this and came to the conclusion that my eyes were closed. I opened my eyes and saw something no human being should ever see in person. Myself. I was glowing faintly golden and Conner was watching my body.

"Oh, stop looking at your body!" I female voice that put Conner's musical tones to shame chastised.

"Am I... am I dead?" I asked, looking at the place where the voice came from. There was a woman wearing a long black cloak standing there, half her face was beautiful and the other half revealed pure skull. It was seriously unnerving, but mesmerizing, leaving me unable to look away.

"In a way," she proclaimed.

"Wha--what?"

"You were... Changed," she offered, "when Conner kissed you. It would have killed any normal girl but, you, you my dear, aren't normal at all. There isn't really a term for what you were but if someone who's been Changed kisses you then, well, I own your soul." Something about the way she spoke was calming, like it was all done and over with and I could just relax.

Then the words "I own your soul" hit me. "WHAT?"

"Cheer up, dear, you get to be immortal too."

It couldn't be that easy. "And?"

"And you die again every night or..."

"Or what?"

"Or you see some one you love die, if it's their time."

"Crap. Crappity crap crap." I cursed, ending with some more creative words that I hesitate to repeat in writing.

"Shush!" the woman hissed, waving her pale, "Go back to your body!"

Everything went dark again. This time, though, I knew to open my eyes and I didn't have to see my own body.

"Oh thank God!" Conner exclaimed, "I was afraid she wouldn't take you!"

"You... you just..." I shook my head, trying to clear my head.

"I know it hurts but your immortal now!" Conner said earnestly, "Listen, be careful of that Summer girl, she's--"

"Winter is one of my best friends, even if we're fighting now, she'd NEVER hurt me!" I yelled, standing up, "Unlike you, who just KILLED me!!!"

"Avery..."

"Don't 'Avery...' me! Get the hell away from me and never come back!" I screamed.

"But..." Conner's icy eyes pleaded with me.

"Leave or there'll be a knife in your immortal side. You have five seconds," I said, pulling a knife from the low cut boots I had earlier picked out with so much care.

"Avery, please," Conner begged, not taking a step back.

"Five."

"You don't understand!"

"Four." I started aiming.

"Avery!"

"Three."

Conner finally seemed to realize I was serious and took two steps back.

"Two. Conner, I want you gone."

He turned tail and ran. Just as he reached them path, he turned, "Avery, I'm sorry."

"One."

He ran as I pulled my arm back and threw, hitting his leg. He pulled it out with a grimace and it healed. Then he left. I fell in to a pile of tears in to much shock to process any of the chaos that had instantly become my life.

})i({
Hopefully that was at least slightly unexpected. HOPEFULLY! I don't know... Comment and vote to help Avery stop crying? Yeah, right, anyone who's reading this is probably a sadist. You're grinning right now, aren't you? I knew it!