Chapter Five

-Stiles-

"Tell me about yourself, Stiles," Derek says as he begins to carry me to the main courtyard.

"This is my first year in the Run and my last I guess," I say. "I live with my dad, he's a human policeman."

"He must be pretty intimidating then," Derek says.

"Not to me, I have to make sure he's eating alright, what with my mum dead."

"That's horrible, I'm so sorry that you've lost your mother." He holds me closer.

"I was ten when we lost her," I say. "Living off the wage of my father is not easy, we rarely have any good meals anymore, and sometimes we don't eat at all. Our home is basically in ruins and I don't know what to do." Silent tears stream down my face, but I realise that I can't get anything past Derek. He kisses my forehead, warming my chest.

"You and your father will live with me in the palace from now on," he says with finality and I know I can't argue with him. "You're going to get decent food and you're going to gain some weight, you look sickly thin, Stiles."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise for the shitty way my parents run this kingdom," he says. "When we become rulers, we will end this ridiculous game and bring everyone together."

I blush, realising that I'm basically a prince now. I'm going to be a king alongside Derek. And he has the same opinion as me about the Run. I also like that he said 'we' and not 'I' or 'me' but 'we'.

"I can walk, you know," I state, looking more confident up at him now.

He chuckles dryly. "Hell no," he says. "You just had a goddamn panic attack, I'm not letting you walk until you completely rejuvenate, and so, you'll eat some bacon before I put you down."

I smile. He wants me to eat bacon. BACON! Bacon is beautiful. "It better be freaking good bacon," I mumble.

"Only the best for my Red Riding Hood."

~~~

Derek carried me all the way out of the forest and into the courtyard where the entire kingdom is watching and waiting. We're just stepping out of the forest when we hear the announcer, who seems to not yet spot us. "Prince Derek hasn't been spotted yet, does this mean that the mate we've all been waiting for has finally arrived?"

Realising that once they do spot us, their attention will be completely on us, I get nervous and bury my face in Derek's chest, already getting too shy about the fact that I'm going to be talked about and judged.

"What's the matter baby?" Derek asks me. "Why are you hiding your beautiful face?"

"I'm not really one for attention," I say, my voice muffled by his shirt, that smells great. "I don't like people looking at me or really knowing of my existence."

"You have nothing to worry about," Derek says, kissing the top of my head. "Everyone is going to love you. You're the most beautiful prince in this century. I promise."

"Look! Over there!" the announcer suddenly shouts. "It's Prince Derek! Carrying someone! Is this his mate?"

I can tell everyone turns to look at us two as Derek carries me through the courtyard. "Can we have some freaking good bacon over here?" he asks, making me smile.

"Who's this?" a woman asks, I don't want to look, I'm too nervous.

"This is my mate," Derek states, I mean it is pretty obvious. "His name is Stiles. And he's very shy."