Chapter Twenty

ONE MONTH LATER

-Lydia-
The ball is over. Everything has been resolved. But has it really? There's one thing that's been bothering me, the abusive werewolf situation. He's clearly not Stiles's father since we've already established that through a DNA test. But, there's something about it, specifically with Jackson. 

When the werewolf came to the palace, he looked at Jackson, it was like he knew him, recognised him. So, it makes me wonder if maybe Jackson is the child of the sex-slave human. 

"Jackson," I say, getting his attention. We're sitting at a table in the palace's library. They have incredible books on medicine here, and Jackson's keeping me company. Apparently it's a mate thing when they sense a change in their other half. It's actually pretty cute.

He hums, letting me know he's listening. He's scrolling through his phone at the moment - he's probably bored.

"Have you thought about that day when that were tried to see Stiles when he thought he was his father?" 

"Not really, why?" He looks up at me, turning off and putting down his phone.

I shrug. "Just been thinking about how he looked at you. It was like you were his son."

He furrows his brows. "Okay. What are you saying?" 

"I'd like to do a DNA test on you and him." 

He scoffs. "Why?" 

"Well, I know you're adopted, so I thought maybe you'd like to know who your parents are." 

"I guess," he says. "But I don't know how I feel about the idea of being the child of that fucked-up history."

I nod. "Yeah, that makes sense. Look if you change your mind, just let me know. I'm always willing to help you find out about you family. I want to help." 

He reaches over and takes my hand. "I'm glad you do. I promise, you'll be the first to know if I want to find my family."

I smile and run my thumb over his knuckles. "Just want you to be happy." 

"I am happy, with you and our friends."

"We make a pretty cool group, don't we?" 

"Obviously. I'm in it." 

I roll my eyes. 

~~~

Jackson's fast asleep now, it's nearly 7 am, so he'll be stirring soon since his shift starts at nine. I've gotta be quick about this.

I go over my top drawer that holds miscellaneous things, and one of those things happens to be a do-it-yourself DNA test. I pick up a cotton bud and tube container before walking back over to Jackson. 

It takes a bit, but I manage to open Jackson's mouth, pausing for a moment so as to not wake him. I don't want him to know I'm doing this. It's my pure curiosity to know Jackson's family heritage, it's my family now too and while I respect his choice to not know, I can't stop thinking about it.

So, I'll find out and Jackson doesn't need to know, unless he ends up asking. I just hope he doesn't get mad at me for this. 

Once I've swabbed and sealed it into the tube, hidden away, I get back into bed, curling around Jackson. I've got a meeting today - meeting Jackson's potential father to grab a swab from him too. He was way more keen to know who his child is, so it was very easy for him to agree. I wasn't too surprised by his enthusiasm since he desperately wanted to see Stiles when he thought he was his father.