three.

He held the blanket over him tighter.

  It was becoming colder outside, the breeze was no longer gentle. Usually, he'd be happy. Cold meant he could find shelter because people would be more sympathetic.

  But he noticed how stocked the shelters were these days. They didn't have enough space for him. He decided families needed it more.

  Letting out a deep breath, he watched his breath become foggy. It was comforting in a way or relaxing.

  Not much people were on the streets, only in their cars. He saw a Ford Mustang at the stoplight and he felt his throat constrict.

  A long time ago, he had a classic Mustang convertible. It was his prized possession until he sold it to the highest bidder. That was when he hit rock bottom.

  The familiar sound of heels echoed through the lonely streets.

  He peeked through the hole in his blanket and furrowed his eyebrows. Even on a cold day, she decided to walk to her destination.

  Wearing a long, gray sweater dress and boots, she looked warmer than ever.

  But her expression didn't.

  Her shoulders were tense and her eyes were hard. She looked angry but fought to contain it.

  Through his blanket, he watched her come up to the wall beside him and hit her fists on it. Each punch only seemed to weaken her.

  Then, she slowly stopped. Her forehead leaned on the freezing wall, her chest heaving up and down as she panted.

  A quiet sob escaped from her.

  His heart felt like it was breaking at the wounding sound.

  Gulping, he sat up. "E–excuse me, miss?"

  She turned her head slightly in his direction. Surprise appeared on her face as if she never noticed him. Except, she never really did.

  "Yes?" she looked away from him to wipe her tears.

  "Are..." he hesitated. "Are you okay?"

  "I'm okay."

  He nodded and it was silent for a moment. The only sound to be heard was her shaky sniffling and his shallow breathing.

  Somewhere inside him, he felt he had to help her. Make her worries disappear or at least cheer her up. So, that's exactly what he did.

  "Miss... I know we're just strangers but I'd really like you to know that I think you're an amazing person. From what I can tell, you're a hard worker and you care about people. That's a rare trait in our society. Now, I don't know what's happening in your life, but I'm sure someone like you can persevere through it or make it better. I just...wanted you to know that."

  His eyes bored into hers. She felt her heart quicken with such words.

  Never in her entire life had someone spoken to her that way or said those words. Sure, she received compliments, but none so genuine and tender.

  She turned towards him completely and gave him a grateful nod. "Thank you. I needed that."

  "Have a good day, miss, " he smiled softly at her before she walked away from him.

  But his words stayed with her in a special place in her mind.