six.

Sleep was becoming a defense mechanism for him.

  It was becoming too cold to move, to even think. But when he drifted off to sleep, it was as if he arrived in a whole other world.

A world of peace. A world where he didn't sleep on the ground, instead, he slept on the clouds.

"You look like you need a nice cup of hot chocolate, " a familiar silky voice said. He opened his eyes and smiled when he saw her crouched down in front of him.

She handed him the drink as he responded: "Doesn't everybody?"

"Amen to that, " she chuckled and sat beside him on the ground. He wondered why she didn't care that the dirty streets could stain her expensive-looking green sheath.

They sat in silence, sipping their drinks for warmth.

Once they were done, she pulled out a paper bag from under her coat. "Want to share a sandwich?"

"You can have it, " he politely declined but she frowned.

"Please? I never eat the whole thing. You'd be doing me a favor."

"You're not hungry?"

"Not this much, " she held up the sandwich and his eyes widened. It was an abnormally large sandwich, as if it were purposefully made for more than one person.

He sighed in defeat. "Okay, you win."

A smile spread across her face and he felt his heartbeat quicken. To him, that smile must've been the most beautiful piece of art he'd ever seen.

She then gave him the other half of the sandwich. Slowly, she felt more and more happy.

Boys like him were rare. They were kind, generous, and worth fighting for.

She wanted to fight for him.

"Let me ask you something, " she began; he nodded for her to continue. "How do you feel about pancakes?"

"I think they're the best with maple syrup."

She laughed. "Exactly what I thought."

Pancakes were their end and their beginning.