wind

prompt; sun meets wind
[3k words]
//

Dan laid in a grassy field, sun rays warming his neck and stomach pressed against the hard ground. A flower tickled his nose when a breeze carried some of the words off of the page he was reading and caused his stray curls to defy simple gravity. He sighed, holding down the folding page and shaking his head so that the flower stopped assulting his nostrils.

He sneezed, causing his cap to loosen and when another powerful breeze came by, the wind carried that away somewhere too.

"Aw, nards," Dan muttered, shutting his book and sitting up to find the stupid cap lost in the sea of planty earth. The tall grass made his legs itch when he started to search, and again the breeze assulted him by lifting up his pastel yellow skirt slightly, which he quickly attempted to pat back down.

"Woah, wasn't expecting a show," a voice from behind him said, causing Dan to turn around quickly. There in front of him now was a boy about his age, a smirk on his pale pink lips. He was holding Dan's cap in his hand, stretched out towards him to return it.

Dan blushed, "Oh, thank you," Dan said, grabbing the hat hesitantly.

The boy smiled wider, "No, I should thank the wind."

"For what?"

"Giving me an excuse to talk to you," he said, "Excuse me if this is a bit forward, but I think you're really pretty."

Dan blushed again, "Thank you."

The boy laughed and got closer to Dan so he could see him better. He was beautiful. Hair just as windswept as Dan's curls and the prettiest sky blue eyes. Dan thought he'd fallen in love like in the books he read. Just instantly.

"I'm Phil," he said, holding out his hand. Dan shook it, "My names Daniel."

"That sounds sophisticated. Formal. Can I call you Dan?" Phil asked.

"My friends do." If I had any they probably would.

"Then I guess I'm your friend now, Dan."

Dan smiled at him, "What are you doing all the way out here?"

"Wandering," Phil answered, "I thought I'd find an empty field here, but instead I found you."

"Do you come here often?"

Phil laughed, as if something about that line was funny. Dan didn't get it. "Uh, yeah sometimes. Do you?"

"All of the time," Dan answered, "It's really peaceful. I love the sounds, and the sun, and the wind when it isn't being annoying, and the sky. The sunset is astonishing."

"Yeah, I bet the view here is really nice."

Why did Dan get a slight suspicion he wasn't talking about the sunset?

"Would you like to watch it with me?" Dan asked awkwardly.

"Watch what?"

"The sunset."

"Is that an excuse so we can get to know each other better?"