heels [I?]

prompt; Dan runs away(the real title is With Heels to Run)
I stole this from my own tumblr from a long time ago. But I don't have time for tumblr anymore so I'll just post it here too😂
slightly edited btw
[2k words]
//

Dan just wants to run away.
So he does.

He packs a backpack full of things he thinks he needs, and under his pillow he keeps a train ticket and some money for a bus or taxi.

Because who knows where he'll go.

It's the hurt and pain of his feet from three hours of walking that stops him. He lives on the outskirts of opportunity, and he's heading in.
There's so much pain in every footstep; not from the flat shoes, but his past. He wonders if his parents even care he's gone.

It's dark out. But he's not even scared. There's light loitered all around the city. When he gets there, it will all be fine. He sees a stop. A bus stop, and he sits down. It's illuminated by a single lantern next to it. It's so weak and out of place--like him. He wishes it could at least keep him the slightest bit warm like his worn out coat, or desire to get away.

He feels eyes on him in the dark of the night. But he doesn't look up from his isolation in his own head. He kind of likes the attention of the lurking person he knows is around. At least someone can acknowledge his existence.

Dan jumps as a tall figure emerges from the shadows and speaks. "Hey, what are you doing out here? It's really late to be in this part the city, escpecially for a kid," says a mans voice.

Dan places his hand over his heart, "God, you scared me," he admits to the stranger.

The man laughs, and Dan takes in his face. He looks young, about Dan's age maybe older, with dark black hair in a fringe cut and pale skin. Dan decides he likes his laugh, and prays he doesn't get assaulted by the charming man in front of him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he says, taking the seat next to Dan.

Dan smiles, "It's alright."

"How old are you?" He asks suddenly.

Dan sighs, "Look, if you think you're going to trick me into going back home you might as well go, because I'm never going back," Dan says bluntly, with an emphasis on the never.

The man puts his hands up in defense. "Hey, hey, I'm not here to pep talk you, I'm here trying to ride the bus, same as you."

Dan looks at him, studying him again. He's very pretty. Nice cheekbones, and nice eyes. Then again, he could still be a creep.

"Fifteen," Dan answers, looking away from him.

"Is that your age?" The man asks for confirmation.
Dan nods.

"Wow, you're young. I'm 18, by the way, and my name is Phil." he greets, holding out his hand.

Dan looks at him, and he looks at his hand, and crosses his arms, "How do I know you're not really 40 and ready to axe murder me?"

Phil laughed again, the jolly sound filling up the dreary air. "Trust me, I'm not. Do I look 40?"

Dan stared at him again, "No, but you never know."

Phil sighed, "Can I ask you to believe me?"

Dan scoffed, "Last time I believed in someone, I got hurt."

Phil studied the younger boy instead of the other way around this time. He seemed slightly amused. "But I won't hurt you."

Dan closed his eyes, "You should leave."