impress

concept; "Who are you trying to impress?"
(toxic)jealous!phil, fashionable!dan(?)
smut warning ⚠️
[2.4k words]
//

I felt good in my outfit for today.
I felt confident, which was nice, and I felt like I may actually look good. It was always enlightening to feel this way, when for most of my life I hated my appearance. But I was in love with having clothes like this. I was in love with how they made me feel.

I was excited to go out today, even though it was just light shopping. But I knew people would see me and I wouldn't feel so anxious. I took a mirror selfie (I know I'm cringe), trying not to look awkward, which I then posted happily. I knew I'd get a lot of nice comments from the people that watch my videos, and that made me feel even better.

I walk into the kitchen, and I see just who I wanted to see me in this outfit. My boyfriend, Phil. Obviously, I still try to impress him even though we've dated for years. It's stupid, but I love it when he kisses me and says I look amazing. It makes my heart do a million backflips.

"Hey, Phil." I greet, standing in front of him with a smile.

"Hello, Dannyyy." He says, looking at his laptop and not meeting my eyes.

I chew my lip, "Do you like my outfit today?" I ask, and he looks up at me with raised eyebrows.

I watch as he scans my body for a long while, and then he sighs. "Are you wearing that out today?"

"Uh, yeah."

His face hardens and he nods. "Okay."

I frown as he turns his eyes back to the computer. I almost feel like crying, just because I'm such a drama queen. He's doing it again.

Phil never liked it when I dressed up, and I have no idea why. I always tried to get him to compliment me, to show that he cares, but he never does. When I dress up in a suit for a fancy party or awards thing, he always smiles and tells me that I look handsome, before kissing me on the cheek. And he'll take pictures and say I look gorgeous. That always makes me feel really good. He's the sweetest boyfriend ever.

But when I dress up on a normal day, nothing.
He even ignores me like he doesn't want to talk to me. And it breaks my heart every time.

"A-are you ready to go out?" I ask.

He closes his laptop and nods. "Yeah, lets go."

"Are you excited? We never go out." I joke.

He shrugs. "Yeah, I guess."

He's already started to be distant. I try again.

"How long will we be out?"

"Don't know. Not long."

And I realize, conversation is pointless.

//

"How about this? You'll look good in this!" I say, holding up a button up shirt that would really make his eyes pop, I think. I really like shopping if I'm honest, even if I get most of my clothes online these days. We both do.

"Yeah okay, let's buy it." Phil says, gesturing towards the counter.

Phil has been in a rush ever since we got to the shops. He stands close to me at all times, and whenever someone looks in our direction he tries to get even closer. A cashier told me to have a nice day earlier and Phil glared daggers at her until we left the shop. It's obvious, Phil is in a pissy mood today and does not want to be here. Which is weird, since he was so excited just this morning.

The cashier rings up the shirts and she smiles at me as she hands over the bag. "You're definitely the cutest customer I've had today."

I blush. "Thanks."