21 - HAVE A LITTLE FAITH

"So, Sam's is officially meeting Tony, that's...going to be a total disaster," Lucy was saying as she piled fries into her mouth. We were sitting down in the courtyard at the hospital, the fresh air making my head a little light. She had stopped by for her lunch break, something she only ever did when she wanted details on gossip. "I mean, a total disaster in a good way."

I sent her a frown, setting down my orange juice. "I don't really know if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but thanks so much for the vote of confidence, Lu." I had been stressing over the very thought of Tony meeting his son and despite the burden of agreeing to it, I was still having nightmares about it. Terrible nightmares that ended up with Samuel crying and deciding he wanted to live with Tony, despite not knowing the man. That was maybe every mother's fear, not being picked over their long lost father. "What if they bond? What if Samuel wants nothing to do with me because I kept it from him for so long? I'm a terrible person for not telling him sooner."

Lucy sighed, wiping her mouth with her napkin and shifting forward in her chair. There was a little shine in her eyes, something a little different about her today, I just couldn't pinpoint what it actually was. "You're not a terrible person. It wasn't like Tony ever stayed in contact over the years. He was busy sleeping around and creating weapons that killed millions of people." She heaved out another sigh, eyeing my half eaten sandwich. "On a side note, he's completely shut down the weapons department, did you hear? Justin wanted to throw a party with the news. You know they've been company rivals since he started Hammer Industries. Now, I guess Justin will be the leading front for everything military in this war hungry country." 

We never really discussed Lucy's brother, it was a topic she gladly pushed under the rug. It wasn't that they weren't close, she still visited him for the holidays and they kept in contact but ever since Justin had moved into building weapons, she decided he was rather a distant brother, one she didn't like to talk about very often. Lucy was strongly against his ideas of creating such things for mass destruction. "I did hear, yes." I nodded, pushing my sandwich across the tiny table for her to finish off. 

"It makes a girl question what really happened over there, you know?" Lucy went on, blindly unaware that my gaze had spotted Dr. Jackson by the coffee stand. "Maybe Tony Stark has been reformed, maybe he's actually not so bad as the press makes him out to be now. Just maybe, he's not the merchant of death anymore. Tilly, are you even paying attention to me?" 

My gaze snapped back to her, opening my mouth and then quickly closing it. She twisted around in her seat and spied Dr. Jackson, who was currently smiling down at the barista with that dashing smile of his. "Oh, I see what's going on." She grinned a little too widely, "Who is that piece of eye candy and why haven't you mentioned working along side him?"

Henry Jackson, a doctor every single nurse was gossiping about since his arrival only a handful of weeks ago. He was very charming and had a matching British accent to go along with it. I wasn't one to crush on men anymore but I had to admit, he was rather nice to look at. "Don't gawk at him, he's still a person, just with a really cute face." I snipped out sharply, lowing my voice as his eyes swung around to land on us. 

"Wait, he's coming over here?" Lucy was whispering out while she attempted to fix her hair, making sure it looked presentable. I shot her look and she shrugged quickly before he was standing at the edge of our tiny circle table.

He was already smiling, the type of smile that could cure cancer, which was rather ironic since he was a doctor and all. "Nurse Hardings, hello." I could already see Lucy melting like an ice cube on a hot day with his words. 

"Dr. Jackson, hey." I smiled quickly and I pointed over to Lucy, who was waiting for an introduction. "This is Lucy Hammer, no relation to Justin Hammer though."